Renderworks and OpenGL produce black backgrounds on one machine, render fine on my computer

Stephan Moenninghoff

Question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Here are two viewports rendered with OpenGL (top) and Renderworks (bottom) on a client machine (left) and the same viewports rendered on my computer (right). The client is quite desperate because he is getting these black backgrounds in both OpenGL and Renderworks intermittently. He is also seeing white (RGB 255,255,255) areas in rendered images turning black on his computers but nobody is able to reproduce the behaviour anywhere else.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-15 um 11.02.07.png

16 answers to this question

image.thumb.png.221fed3b37e2cc8b24b10eaeb55243ae.png

Could be any of the following as above Stephan: all worth trying. It's likely his settings are not the same as yours?

so:-

update driver

set the VW preferences to good performance

check the driver is pointing at VW not an internal graphics card

and the "if all else fails" option....

Hope this helps!

Edited by David S
  • Like 1

I think this is just another instance of the long-running 'black render' problem that has remained unfixed over several releases including 2019?

Sometimes I experience the situation where the whole render goes black, sometimes more like what is described above where portions render as black. When it's just portions that render black, it often seems to be reflective (or transparent?) surfaces that are involved. I'll sometimes see it with windows, sometimes where I have a body of water. Solutions include if you are lucky, simply duplicating and re-rendering the viewport, or if you are less lucky, a requirement to completely reboot VW each time it happens.

Edited by line-weight
9 minutes ago, line-weight said:

I think this is just another instance of the long-running 'black render' problem that has remained unfixed over several releases including 2019?

Sometimes I experience the situation where the whole render goes black, sometimes more like what is described above where portions render as black. When it's just portions that render black, it often seems to be reflective (or transparent?) surfaces that are involved. I'll sometimes see it with windows, sometimes where I have a body of water. Solutions include if you are lucky, simply duplicating and re-rendering the viewport, or if you are less lucky, a requirement to completely reboot VW each time it happens.

IMO i do not think this is the same thing, it this is a very persistent problem.

A restart does not fix it and it is visible in the resourse browser as well.

28 minutes ago, Bas Vellekoop said:

IMO i do not think this is the same thing, it this is a very persistent problem.

A restart does not fix it and it is visible in the resourse browser as well.

Confirmed. The Resource Manager previews also show the black backgrounds. Once edited on a different machine, they return to normal.

4 hours ago, David S said:

update driver

set the VW preferences to good performance

check the driver is pointing at VW not an internal graphics card

Oh, yes, sorry, forgot to mention that. Those are the first things we check. Thanks!

Edited by Stephan Moenninghoff

We're finding the black background appearing in some viewports and Resource Manager thumbnails are caused by the, "Default Compression" option on the Edit tab of the Vectorworks Preferences being set to JPEG, instead of the default, PNG.

• Like 1
Just now, Gunther said:

We're finding the black background appearing in some viewports and Resource Manager thumbnails are caused by the, "Default Compression" option on the Edit tab of the Vectorworks Preferences being set to JPEG, instead of the default, PNG.

Thanks, @Gunther this may help until the issue is resolved!

• Like 1