Placing of 2D design on to 3D site model

Bunbun

I'm a complete novice at this so please forgive if question is a stupid one!

I've manage to make a contour site model of quite a large site and now want to import a 2D drrawing of all the other elements into it as a reference to start building the design on it.

I've imported the 2D drawing as a reference but it is sitting below the site model. Is there a way to position it accurately on top of the site model? There are lots of existing trees too.

Any advice would be terrific!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@MAnderson10 Glad to hear you are getting started with 3D. A quick tip is using Send to Surface command which you can read more about in the following link Vectorworks 2017 Help: Send to Surface. I see you are using VW 2017 but the command has stayed the same. Depending on your workspace use one of the following:

●    Architect workspace: AEC > Terrain > Send to Surface

●    Landmark workspace: Landmark > Send to Surface (in landmark, you can also select the desired object, right click>send to surface)

The Existing Tree and Plant tool will automatically recognize the site model and place the objects on the surface of the model. For other objects, use the send to surface command.

Hope this helps to get you started!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If your plan is 2D, and you want to show the 2D geometry above the site model, edit the design layers that it sits on, and change the elevation of the design layer to somewhere above the elevation of the model. You won't be able to drape the 2D geometry on the surface, but if you may be able to use the Create Objects from Shapes command to convert these 2D shapes into intelligent objects that have 3D properties built into them... like Hardscapes and Landscape Areas. Then, you'll need to add Site Modifiers to amend the surface of the site model to accommodate these design features.

Do you have Vectorworks Service Select? If so, there's a tutorial in there which demonstrates how this is done. It's old, but still relevant (just like me!)

• Like 4