how to specifiy criteria for a database that includes more than one layer

Maybe I've misunderstood but, in the criteria dialogue can you not just keep adding an additional choice for each layer for which you want to select objects? I thought that if the object criteria are mutually exclusive then it will select objects that conform to both criteria - an "or" scenario (in this case layers). If the criteria is not mutually exclusive then it is an "and" scenario, i.e. only objects that conform to all criteria are selected.

13 minutes ago, Boh said:

Maybe I've misunderstood but, in the criteria dialogue can you not just keep adding an additional choice for each layer for which you want to select objects? I thought that if the object criteria are mutually exclusive then it will select objects that conform to both criteria - an "or" scenario (in this case layers). If the criteria is not mutually exclusive then it is an "and" scenario, i.e. only objects that conform to all criteria are selected.

I think Boh is right with this. 

Boh, you are right, I have misunderstood your question, may be if you .  What I understood is that let's say you have 6 layers and 3 different types of seating spread across all layers.  You want to have box in a spreadsheet showing just type 1 seating on layers 1,2,3, that will be scenario where both chair type and layer will have to be present in order to register in the box.  But I suspect you might have something else in mind.

Ah.... I will have to try that Boh.  Thank you!

TKA, that's pretty much the scenario.  Needing to pull data from multiple (layers / classes / records / types /etc) take your pick.  And combinations of those multiples.  I sense myself headed down the rabbit hole of worksheets, but boy it sure has come in handy lately, except that some of my longer worksheets could be more compact by using a multiple data scenario like this.

TKA, that's not quite it.  That looks like it's using =L in the database header of column K.  I need to specify the Criteria for the database row as something like "look only on layers 5 and 7 for all objects with Platform &/or Deck records".  the records part I have figured out.  But the way of specifying a list of records doesn't work to specific a list of layers, too.

So it seems it really was as simple as specifying both layers in the criteria.  For some reason, I always thought the criteria was exclusively an AND operation and that specifying two layers would result in nothing.

My criteria line looks like this:

=DATABASE((((L='HOUSE') | (L='FOH')) & ((R IN ['Seating Section']) | (R IN ['Event Planning Record']))))

So I guess the | symbol works as an OR function.

• Like 1