David S

2019 strange glitchy behaviour - disappearing geometry

Question

Is any one else suffering any of the following ?  I just want to protect my sanity!   This isn't viewport related THIS IS 3D IN DESIGN LAYERS.

Created solid objects like roofs and floors either go "unsolid"  (despite solid OIP settings) or just literally disappear and will not return shutdown and start it again they reappear and re-solid themselves.

Windows disappear in Open GL. Solution as above.

Walls disappear with all their contents and you have to build them again.

Messes with my head and my workflow. Not fun.

David

• Like 1

David, I can see that you have filed videos with the tech support team, so we'll pick up the conversation there rather than dual-running it on the forum. Just to add to that, we would love to have a copy of the file that exhibits the problems that the videos illustrate. Thank you.

yes I have sent you  (VWK UK Prem tech)2 videos called flawed & flawless 🙂 They are my usual low budget grainy Danish film noir standard because the Microsoft link you sent involves XBox and as any parent will know I am not allowed to fiddle with his XBox stuff 🙂   

Adam has managed to reproduce this with a floor object, but is sending you a suggested new way of working, which will resolve the problem.

@Tamsin Slatter  please can we all have a solution for it? I am struggling with the same problem constantly.

@Tamsin Slatter I've got this with floors too! I'm not sure if it's related, but floors don't behave as expected with textures either.

Please post a quick fix/workaround if there is one

The above problem was caused by the use of the legacy Model View, which created a series of Layer Links. In the client's workflow, we initially replaced the Model View with Design Layer Viewports and the problem was resolved.

However, on closer examination of his requirements, we found that the model view and design layer viewport were no longer necessary at all, as he was using Sheet Layer Viewports and could bring his model together there.

If you have problems, make sure you have the latest service pack installed. Lupin, your signature says you are on 2016 SP3 - there will be a later service pack for 2016 which may help you.

Other reasons that could cause disappearing geometry is to have geometry that is a huge distance (greater than 5KM) away from the internal origin. Check the drawing for "stray geometry" such as random text boxes or Loci and remove them. Then run Tools > Origin > Center Drawing on Internal Origin to move the geometry close to the internal origin but preserve its coordinates. Ideally, if you are coordinating with other users, agree the coordinates of the project coordination point, and use the Tools > User Origin > Next Mouse Click is option to overlay those coordinates on the internal origin before starting to draw.

Thanks!

I'll try checking origin - I updated my profile - I'm on 2019 SP4.

I checked all  points mentioned by @Tamsin Slatter .

All objects are just around Origin. Even though just after about 15 minutes of working with file, some objects start disappearing when rotating model. Longer I work, more objects become invisible. If I save file, close it and open it again, problem is gone for a while.

Can you post the file please Greg?

And are you sure that the graphics card is set to high performance mode? Right-click on your desktop and choose the NVIDIA control panel. Choose Set Physx Properties and change from AutoSelect to the NVIDIA card. Then, click Manage 3D Settings and go to the Programs tab - make sure Vectorworks is added to the list of programs that use the high performance card.

PhysX setting is correct.

My Geforce Card is the only active graphic card so no option to choose it in Program Settings tab.

What email shall I send file to please?

Hi @Tamsin Slatter I checked my file, origin is close to page centre, and there are no objects kilometres away.

I'm getting a lot of disappearing floors still, and textures are buggy - ie: they revert to the current class type, or untextured wireframe instead of keeping the texture of their assigned class.

A typical buggy process is objects will be correctly textured, then modify spontaneously when I edit their geometry.

The group/ungroup action seems to work sometimes.

Could it be a graphics card issue for me?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, lupin said:

Hi @Tamsin Slatter I checked my file, origin is close to page centre, and there are no objects kilometres away.

I'm getting a lot of disappearing floors still, and textures are buggy - ie: they revert to the current class type, or untextured wireframe instead of keeping the texture of their assigned class.

A typical buggy process is objects will be correctly textured, then modify spontaneously when I edit their geometry.

The group/ungroup action seems to work sometimes.

Could it be a graphics card issue for me?

Thanks!

Hi Lupin

Your signature still shows that you are using 2016, so may be worth updating. It also shows that you are on a Mac, so if that's still the case, then no the graphics card will not be the issue. The fix I suggested is for Windows users. You don't have the same graphics card management software in the Mac OS.

I think it's probably best to speak to your local tech support service (OzCAD) and see if they are able to help you with these issues. They are not things that I see on a day to day basis, but your local team on the ground may have some useful insight for you.

Thanks Tamsin,

Cool, thought it might be non-mac, cos I was... whaaat?, but good to know!

I updated my signature, please let me know if it hasn't stuck.

The disappearing objects and textures seemed to start happening for me with the combination of a new mac, VW2019 and mojave... I've tried local tech support.

Not using objects from older files (not super old, 2015 - 2018 mostly) and deleting user library file seems to help for a while, but not forever, and regular VW cleansing is a bit of a productivity killer... have to draw from scratch, redo preferences and shortcuts etc,.

Just hoping for silver bullet.

Yes, new profile working well! Sorry to hear of your ongoing woes.

Have you tried the Repair tool?

On the Finder, go to /Applications/Vectorworks 2019 and run the Vectorworks 2019 Updater application. 

Click Advanced Options and then Repair.

I hope that helps.

Nice! Thanks, will give it shot.

22 hours ago, GregB said:

PhysX setting is correct.

My Geforce Card is the only active graphic card so no option to choose it in Program Settings tab.

What email shall I send file to please?

@gregB I sent you a private message...

21 hours ago, lupin said:

Thanks Tamsin,

Cool, thought it might be non-mac, cos I was... whaaat?, but good to know!

I updated my signature, please let me know if it hasn't stuck.

The disappearing objects and textures seemed to start happening for me with the combination of a new mac, VW2019 and mojave... I've tried local tech support.

Not using objects from older files (not super old, 2015 - 2018 mostly) and deleting user library file seems to help for a while, but not forever, and regular VW cleansing is a bit of a productivity killer... have to draw from scratch, redo preferences and shortcuts etc,.

Just hoping for silver bullet.

@lupin I also sent you a private message...