2019 strange glitchy behaviour - disappearing geometry

David S

Question

Is any one else suffering any of the following ?  I just want to protect my sanity!   This isn't viewport related THIS IS 3D IN DESIGN LAYERS.

Created solid objects like roofs and floors either go "unsolid"  (despite solid OIP settings) or just literally disappear and will not return shutdown and start it again they reappear and re-solid themselves.

Windows disappear in Open GL. Solution as above.

Walls disappear with all their contents and you have to build them again.

Messes with my head and my workflow. Not fun.

David

• Like 1

Had feed back from VW UK and it sorted it out for me:

This is likely due to the geometry being too far away from the Vectorworks internal origin. Do you need the file to be referenced to where it is in the world? What you can do is go to Tools > Origin > Centre Drawing on internal origin. 

However before doing this you will need to do the following steps:

Turn all your layers and classes to visible.

Set your layer options to Show, Snap, Modify others

Then do a select all and you will see you have two groups of geometry far away from each other. Please see screenshot attached.

This is an issue from when you imported the DWG so you will need to tidy this up before centring. 

This should resolve the issues with the roofs you are experiencing.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 minutes ago, David S said:

Thanks for replying @michael john williams Who at VSS sorted this for you? I am still in discussion with them....I havent imported a DWG? PLs attach screen shot! I will deploy this methodology next time I'm having an issue and see what happens rgds david 

David, this is not the case in your files. I checked this as a matter of course, I promise. 

• Like 1

Yup, similar issues on this side of the " pond", Roof slabs randomly going transparent (reapplying the texture gets it back), undos not returning geometry (walls, shapes etc) to its original state, curtain walls SAS. I've been recommending to friends and firms I consult with to run the other way from 2019. Ugh. Should we all start invoicing NNA for our lost billable time?

• Like 2

Have been working closely with David on this today, and we have identified two issues.

The first is the geometry becoming transparent when exiting a group. The workaround here is to create the first object, group that, edit the group and create edit the remaining geometry within the group. In my testing, this seems to avoid the problem and will help until a fix is released. My understanding is that this will be resolved by Service Pack 2.

The second is the issue with the Clip Cube sections in viewports, with elements not sectioning correctly. I have narrowed this down too! Phew. In David's workflow, he includes a Layer Link object on a new design layer. He is then creating a Clip Cube view of this Layer Link view in his viewports. This seems to be cause of the issues with the section cuts. In the viewports, if we turn off the Layer Link design layer, and make the layers with the original geometry visible, all is good. The section planes display correctly, and the glazed elements render correctly. I have filed a bug anyway, and will continue to test to ensure that this is the cause, but in David's project file, for now, the problem seems to be resolved.

If a design layer IS desired containing a view of the whole model, I recommend using a Design Layer Viewport instead of a Layer Link.

Just to clarify, the problems Michael was having were caused by geometry being a large distance from the internal origin, so although the symptoms seemed the same, the cause was different. 

Glitchy city I have to say. Never experienced a release so temperamental as 2019. Still experiencing so many small but irritating issues. I can't defend it any more. I think it's a reputational issue now. Don't release an upgrade and expect users to Beta test it. It wastes so many (billable) hours of customer time. Shocking that it gets past User acceptance testing. Some of it is really basic. I expect old problems to be fixed and it to do more not present me with a raft of day to day problems.     Sad as I love the programme and would defend it to the hilt where appropriate. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

One annoying thing that continues is rotated object don't "appear" to rotate until they are nudged or moved. Refreshing the screen by zooming in or out doesn't help. This can cause many mistakes if one forgets that VW actually did rotate the object, but the the rotation doesn't show up.

@Jim Smith Definitely don't forget to submit such issues and the related Vectorworks files (a screen recording would be handy too) to Tech Support so that we can log and deal with them. 🙂

23 hours ago, MSLD said:

Having a similar issue. Floor objects become transparent after grouping/ ungrouping.

2019SP2

I am not able to reproduce this in a blank file. However, the best option is to submit the example file to tech support so that the team can continue problem determination on your behalf. I saw some problems of this kind in SP1, and found that the workaround was to create the first object, then create the group, and then create the other objects within the group editor. I don't know if this will help you, but it's worth a try.

20 hours ago, David S said:

Glitchy city I have to say. Never experienced a release so temperamental as 2019. Still experiencing so many small but irritating issues. I can't defend it any more. I think it's a reputational issue now. Don't release an upgrade and expect users to Beta test it. It wastes so many (billable) hours of customer time. Shocking that it gets past User acceptance testing. Some of it is really basic. I expect old problems to be fixed and it to do more not present me with a raft of day to day problems.     Sad as I love the programme and would defend it to the hilt where appropriate. 

I'm sorry to hear that you continue to have problems David. I thought we had got to the bottom of them with SP2 and with the removal of layer links from your workflow (replacing them with Design Layer Viewports) I just took a look at our support system and I don't see any outstanding cases for you. If you still have issues, please let the VSS team know. They are there to help you and keen to do so. 

Just adding to the chorus. This happens to me all the time. I'm running 2019 SP2. Refreshing the view one way or another usually makes things reappear eventually, but having to work around glitches constantly makes my already fast paced, high demand job even more difficult.

On 12/8/2018 at 3:50 PM, David S said:

Never experienced a release so temperamental as 2019. Still experiencing so many small but irritating issues. I can't defend it any more. I think it's a reputational issue now. Don't release an upgrade and expect users to Beta test it.

Agreed, though I can't say I've never experienced this from VW. Things like this happen with every release. Hard to say which version has been worse, but I often describe the latest VW releases as Betas that should have had a half-year of practical testing before release. I'm getting very tired from the very real amount of time I spend troubleshooting when I should be done with my job and relaxing instead.

@MSLD

I have been trialling another issue which didn't occur before. Those disappearing floors (and possibly roofs too) in 2019 if you do not solid a poly before conversion to floor it will behave oddly in viewports, go unsolid in OGL or have no line in hidden line and literally disappear. Some of my issues were resolved ib 2019sp2 but I am still having issues with 3d objects like floors and roofs disappearing particularly in groups .  I use floors roofs and groups extensively and have done for 10 years. I have submitted several video's to Matt P to show what happens. Will also send to VWUK @Tamsin 

18 hours ago, David S said:

@MSLD

I have been trialling another issue which didn't occur before. Those disappearing floors (and possibly roofs too) in 2019 if you do not solid a poly before conversion to floor it will behave oddly in viewports, go unsolid in OGL or have no line in hidden line and literally disappear. Some of my issues were resolved ib 2019sp2 but I am still having issues with 3d objects like floors and roofs disappearing particularly in groups .  I use floors roofs and groups extensively and have done for 10 years. I have submitted several video's to Matt P to show what happens. Will also send to VWUK @Tamsin 

Do you mean that you convert a polygon that has been drawn without a fill? And then apply the fill afterwards? And are these Floors or Slabs?