3D modelling

Sade

I'm still trying to figure out the Modelling tools on vectorworks, I made a model out of lines and then extruded it but it's confusing as when I look at it as an Iso it looks like a bunch of lines, someone suggested to me to use Open GL but it's slightly too dark is there any other way to do this?

5 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

Without being too self serving, I suggest my book.

https://www.routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/9780415726139/

Generally speaking, you can't extrude lines. You extrude shapes. You can compose lines into a shape. You would extrude before making a symbol, or in the edit symbol mode.

I'm just gonna jump in here and say I extrude lines, not often but often enough that I think it serves a purpose on occasion (think quick borders/legs or another way to make cut drops for the stage). The extrude from a line appears to be a simple symmetrical loft, but someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
6 hours ago, Sade said:

someone suggested to me to use Open GL but it's slightly too dark

This can be quickly modified by going to View > Set Lighting Options and then increasing Ambient Lighting.

Extruding lines "works" but depends on what you want to do with the results. Since an extruded line technically has no volume, a lot of the time solids operations like Add and Subtract solids can either error out or act very strangely when used in conjunction with extruded lines. 

If you're going to be 3D modeling in Vectorworks, it's best to use the parametric tools to draw windows, doors and walls rather than simply drawing out 2D polygons and line segments by hand. You CAN draw just 2D geometry and then extrude it, but then you're effectively leaving out the core advantage of a CAD application in that you aren't really allowing it to do that 3D work FOR you.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

Extruding lines "works" but depends on what you want to do with the results. Since an extruded line technically has no volume, a lot of the time solids operations like Add and Subtract solids can either error out or act very strangely when used in conjunction with extruded lines. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Allen said:

Backdrops are among the few places I might extrude a line.

I used to extrude lines a lot. It still can be useful especially when extruding unfilled arcs for curved backdrops or when making surfaces to use with the Section Solids command. I'm careful to convert the results to a NURBS surface so they're more stable.

Kevin