Arc Dimensioning

MattG

I am trying to dimension items along a path.  I am wondering what others would do for this type of dimension.  Basically, the path is made up of different arcs.  See the attached simplified picture.  

Typically I will do things like this with curved stage trussing, but generally, those items are all on an arc that is a consistent angle. I generally use the arc length dimension tool to note where things land on an arc by adding a dummy arc to it and apply the dimension to that arc.  However in this example, I want to dimension point "C" starting from the lower left point like A & B, but the arc changes diameters along the way.  What would be a good way to dimension that distance in other's opinions?

Thanks,

Matt

Arc dimensioning.PNG

Yeah sort of thought about that, but wasn't sure if someone had some sort of cool work around without doing the kind of "pretend" non-associative dimension.  I do dummy dims in perspective views all the time and it just sucks when you update things and they don't update.

I think I would dimension the chord length instead if the arc changes radii and auto-updating was important.

1521524432_ScreenShot2018-11-12at9_01_59AM.thumb.png.70f527890a66dffae7e71fcdf7208555.png

@Kevin Allen's suggestion of using a custom Data Tag is interesting and would work using an objects perimeter data. Here's what that could look like.

640290155_ScreenShot2018-11-12at9_06_28AM.thumb.png.65c1fe31d117dad257e233102c884965.png

It seems to update as you change the arc. File attached below.

Kevin

Tag Test.vwx

• Like 1