Data Visualization and Symbols

I can't find any documentation on how viewport data visualizations work with symbols. Do symbols with different record fields work with Data Visualization? 

From my testing it appears that any record field that is applied to symbol with a visualization override will apply to all the instances of that symbol, regardless of whether other instances have a different field value.

It looks like the last created symbol and the fields attached to it set the visualization override for all instances of that symbol. So if I have a symbol "Door 1" and I have a record field "Type" set to "Fire Door" for that symbol, all the "Door 1"'s in the document will have the same overrides even if they have their record field "Type" set to "Regular". This really limits the usefulness of Data Visualization's for me. We deal with primary modular components which we implement in Vectorworks as symbols. It would be great if I could color my symbols in a viewport based on whether they were on site, or the build order or anything else that I would like to attach to a record. 

In 2019 there is a bug which is as you describe. Try stepping your graphics capabilities down a notch to “best performance and compatibility” in Vectorworks Preferences and you should see the results you are looking for and would expect.

If you keep your graphics at the highest setting the display display on screen will be wrong but any pdf or printed output will be correct.

This is a known issue which I believe will be addressed in SP3!