Double Window plug in object

Since VW does not allow you to create a single segment top window object with two double hung windows and a center mullion, the workaround that I found was to create 3 window objects. One for the outer segment top frame and sill and one each for the sash frames. Now, my question is how do I create a custom plug-in object for this window type so that I can control window tags and numbering? Or is this not yet possible?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah you can't. What you can do—and what I've done in the past—is to wrap them in a symbol and then use a Record Format to control window tags and numbering. 

This has it's own set of challenges, not in the least a bug last time I use it that meant I could only render the window numbers in OpenGL on Section Viewport elevations.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1

Christiaan, thanks. The only issue with doing it this way (which I've been working on) is that I can't control the tag. For example, the project I'm working on currently is a large multifamily rehab of a historic building. It's actually 10 buildings connected to each other. So, in order to maintain an accurate window schedule they are numbered individually by building, not by window type (there are 18 windows types). So the tags are W8-104 or W20-107, etc. Attached is the workaround that I've come up with. It's not perfect, but at least it will populate my schedules the way I need and I can change the window function cell to be plain text and enter what I need. 

Cheers.

double hung arched window - workaround.vwx

@Christiaan I still don't see how to change the tag for multiple instances of the same window. I.e. window W11-100 would also have instances of W11-101, 102, 103, etc. For large commercial projects like this the windows need to be sequential for location purposes as much as identifying them on the schedule. Believe me I'd love to have just one tag per window type like on a residential project and then simply list the quantity in the schedule.