Gabriel Chan

Lighting instrument candlepower data field

Trying to get some semblance of lux readouts from VL3500 wash in Vectorworks based on their data on their website. 

http://www.vari-lite.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/VL3500W_Photometrics032508.pdf

What figure should I be looking out for to input into the candlepower data field, speaking of which, what is the unit associated with this field?

Footcandle? Lumens?

Peak Candella in will give you foot-candles out.

Lumens takes into account both intensity and distribution, so isn't as applicable to a simple cone-spread calculation.

• Like 1

Candlepower can be approximated by

distance from source(Squared) * footcandles = Candlepower  

but distance needs to be in feet, you can't mix metric and imperial units on this.

I got this calculation from the Photometrics handbook and what my Algebra teacher taught me way back when on how to solve for X if you have Y and Z in X/Y=Z

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob Books said:

Candlepower can be approximated by

distance from source(Squared) * footcandles = Candlepower  

but distance needs to be in feet, you can't mix metric and imperial units on this.

I got this calculation from the Photometrics handbook and what my Algebra teacher taught me way back when on how to solve for X if you have Y and Z in X/Y=Z

Thanks Rob! Helpful to know how you arrived at those candlepower numbers in the stock symbols. However approximated they are, at least they give me a degree of confidence with using those numbers.