Modeling a 3d Enclosure with Vents

HEengineering

Question

Ive already attempted to model this is the best way I know how. I created an extrude. Then I set the working plane on the faces that gets the vents. Extruded to the vents to the correct depth and then did a duplicate array in the z axis to get the duplication.

At this point I went to plan view and selected each row of vents and subtracted it from the main extrusion.

Is this the best way to model? Reason I ask is I have only this part in the drawing, and the subtraction command takes almost 2 minutes per each row.  Then applying textures to the generic solid also take long.

Feels like it shouldn't be this slow.  Modeling in 2017.  Maybe Ill give it a go in 18 or 19.  Only thing I can think if is each of the solid subtractions are what is slowing it down?

rack-151-door-open.jpg

Edited by HEengineering

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, HEengineering said:

Ive already attempted to model this is the best way I know how. I created an extrude. Then I set the working plane on the faces that gets the vents. Extruded to the vents to the correct depth and then did a duplicate array in the z axis to get the duplication.

At this point I went to plan view and selected each row of vents and subtracted it from the main extrusion.

Is this the best way to model? Reason I ask is I have only this part in the drawing, and the subtraction command takes almost 2 minutes per each row.  Then applying textures to the generic solid also take long.

Feels like it shouldn't be this slow.  Modeling in 2017.  Maybe Ill give it a go in 18 or 19.  Only thing I can think if is each of the solid subtractions are what is slowing it down?

rack-151-door-open.jpg

Can you post an image of your model? I'm not sure I understand the geometry of the vents. What you're describing shouldn't be very processor intensive.

Kevin

9 minutes ago, HEengineering said:

Here is a quick vid of the issue Im having with the deform tool.  I can bend only 1 of 3 tabs on the component.  Can an object only be deformed 1 time?

I think the answer to that question may depend on the geometry of the object after the first deformation. I've found that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If all of those tabs bend to the same angle, I would just cut them off with the split tool, delete the unbent ones, use rotate/duplicate to copy the bent one into the other two positions and rejoin them as a solid addition.

Is the "mesh" seen in the video the vent geometry you mentioned above? Is it a texture or real geometry? If its geometry, it would definitely slow things down.

Kevin

I have looked at some of the texture masking solutions and most of what I see is a repeating pattern that is consistent thru out.  I have vents that mirror one another at different angles.  The sides of the box have different size and shape vents than the front.  Seems to me this would be a difficult transparency mask?

Update.  I was able to do a transparency shader without to much hassle.  Worked surprising well!  Thanks.

Edited by HEengineering