Cloud Services - Unreliable?

Hi,

I tried to find the answer in the help file but had no luck...hopefully someone here will know.

I uploaded a 150mb file to my dropbox that is connected to my VW cloud services and all uploaded OK in  matter of minutes.

When I open the cloud app on my desktop the 'Status' says "upload pending". So my questions are:

1, How long does it take to start to upload after I hit sync files (my preferences are set to manual sync) as the time it takes seems to be very random?

2, Does this upload time get impacted much by file size even though the file is already uploaded to dropbox?

3, Is my internet speed (not that great) or VW/DB internet speeds in any way affect the process AFTER it has been uploaded to my dropbox?

4, I often get upload errors. Usually the bigger the file, the more chance things go wrong. Is there a file size limit as I even have issues on this small 150mb file?

When it works, it works great but more often than not I end up walking away from it as things go wrong far too often.

Any answers/guidance appreciated.

Thanks 

56 minutes ago, Simon Allan said:

1, How long does it take to start to upload after I hit sync files (my preferences are set to manual sync) as the time it takes seems to be very random?

2, Does this upload time get impacted much by file size even though the file is already uploaded to dropbox?

3, Is my internet speed (not that great) or VW/DB internet speeds in any way affect the process AFTER it has been uploaded to my dropbox?

4, I often get upload errors. Usually the bigger the file, the more chance things go wrong. Is there a file size limit as I even have issues on this small 150mb file?

I'm going to try my best to answer your questions. The file structure of how VW Cloud Services works is a bit confusing. You can potentially have two Vectorworks Cloud Services folders on your computer - one created locally on your computer by the Cloud Services app (A) and one created in your Dropbox if you use the Limited Access option to link to your Dropbox (B). I've never been able to see any files in Dropbox linked folders in the Status window of the Cloud Services app. Mine only sees/syncs files in the local Vectorworks Cloud Services folder. I use the web portal to to work with files in my linked Dropbox. Once files sync through Dropbox they are instantly available in the web portal. Files from the local Vectorworks Cloud Services folder sync to cloud storage on the VW servers. That process is much slower. It sounds a bit like you're doing both (eg. folder A above is located in your Dropbox so it syncs with Dropbox and it syncs to VW servers when you choose sync).

Addressing your specific questions

1. Dropbox does it automatically. Hitting sync in the Cloud Services app is much slower to start.
  2. If its on Dropbox, access should be instant. If its manually uploading the the VW server it takes some time and is related to file size.
  3. Only if you're uploading the file twice as mentioned above. Otherwise no, it shouldn't.
  4. I have had one or two upload errors with the Cloud Services app. Errors are never an issue with Dropbox. I have uploaded quite large files (~500mb) without issue.

The Cloud Services interfaces have an odd design and are more complex than they need to be. Feel free to ask more questions or to upvote my recent wishlist item related to this here - 

Kevin

• Like 1

Thanks for the help Kevin!

I think you have found part of my issue in that I was doing a bit of A and a bit of B and thus causing a conflict.

My setup is now as follows:

Desktop app uses a folder that is NOT on DB but is local to the machine. 

Web app has the DB folder integrated and all "works" as it should.

Using the web app makes me think the desktop app is a little redundant, other than using it for viewing the status of files. I don't place VWX in it and sync because, as previously mentioned, it is way too slow.

I am guessing that the "HOME" folder on the web app will sync with my local folder who path I specified in the desktop app? Not sure if I will use this as I have DB but it is there just in case I guess...but time will tell.

I am still getting one file that won't generate in the cloud and it keeps failing and saying "Generation Failed" and the reason is "vectorworks crashed". Sadly I can't send this file to support due very strict NDA's. I am slowly removing parts of the file to see if something is causing this but so far I have no joy.

When I do have it working it seems to work OK...but definitely needs some improvements! 

I will check out your other post on the wishlist...thanks.

• Like 1