What is wrong with Vectorworks 2019

rsoularie

Question

Vectorworks has been fine for me. Now all of a sudden, any time I select a wall or a dimension, the software freezes. after about 5-10 minutes it may go back to normal, until i try to select a wall or dimension again. For the most part, it'll freeze for up to half an hour and I have to keep force quitting. It's fine with other 2D commands, but this is really driving me crazy and I just want a solution to this problem.

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

Matt. I've tried it on a second file to see if the problem persisted. It has the same problem. I can work on annotations and draw polylines fine. and move almost all other symbols. It only happens when I click on a dimension to select it. It happens occasionally when I try to move walls. It also crashes when I try to edit section in place.

13 minutes ago, rsoularie said:

I am using Vectorworks 2019 SP1.1. Now it changes to certain text boxes that cause my program to freeze. It's completely arbitrary.

Long shot, but maybe look at this thread - 

What is your backup/autosave set to - amount of time or number of operations? I have had issues with various versions of VW reacting to system actions in the background (Time Machine backups, Dropbox syncing, wireless network access etc.). It can sometimes be related to having backup/autosave set to an amount of time.

Kevin

Happening to me on a native 2019 file but not 2018 converted files. SP 1.1.  Some operations taking a minute to process. Walls, (forget curtainwall that takes five minutes), slabs, zooms, take your pick. Crickets chirping at tech support. High Sierra. save every 40 operations.  WTF.

Did anyone find a solution to this problem?  VW2019 hangs every 2 minutes or so.  I need to wait 40-50 seconds before it catches up and is usable again.  I use the term usable loosely.  I can't work like this.

VW2019 SP5.2

Mac OS Mojave

mid 2015 MacBook pro

I've been running 2019 on High Sierra (10.13.6) for about 4 months now and I know the problem @Ride, so I don't believe this is a Mojave issue. Vectorworks also takes a very long time to close once this issue has started. My best theory is that it is, in part, to do with viewports and then Autosave and other processes getting bogged down with whatever is going awry. 

I find I can open and work for long periods on the model without this problem emerging, but as soon as I start creating and updating viewports, Vectorworks grinds into an unusable state with processes like the autosave having a prolonged stroke before the progress bar even starts moving.

To keep working, I quarantine creating and updating viewports until necessary and then close and reopen Vectorworks after about every 3 or 4 of those operations.        

Wow.  That is not the answer I was hoping for.  I'll see if I can find a correlation to the viewports as well, though my initial recollection is that it happens randomly, not specific or related to viewports.  For now I've turned my autosave off, but it doesn't seem to make much difference...

Do you have InteriorCAD?  I thought maybe it was related to that but my feeling is it is not.

Yeah, it seemed random to me too and, I guess, there's no guarantee this is the only thing causing Vectorworks to get "seriously" unresponsive, as you've described. But viewports, as a trigger, became predictable and reproducible, only because I was working a little differently to usual on an atypical project. The project is not remarkable, but it did create a hefty 1.2GB file by detailing the steelwork fully in the model, including the fastener tool. So this file as a precursor made it obvious, because after cutting a section and then creating a series of detail viewports, one after another, off of the sections, Vectorworks would consistently start its beach-balling and autosave apoplexy.

I don't have InteriorCAD and I only have 16GB of RAM on board, which is probably a factor also, it just seems like there's a threshold with viewports, size, resolution and probably the model's detail, that pushes Vectorworks to a hard limit, then you need to manage it by frequently closing and reopening as described above. And, by contrast, it seems equally significant, that if I open the project and just work on the model, the behaviour doesn't arise.