Plants disappear when trying to change plant groupings

AMB

Question

Please could you tell me why , when I try to group a collection of single plants to create one group, with a single label, all those plants disappear when I click on 'Change Plant Grouping'?

It seems to happen after I have been working on a file for sometime.  I have tried saving and coming out of it, and then reopening the file, but it still happens.  I have also tried going to a previous file, but the same problem re-occurs.

Any advice would be very welcome

Thank you.

2 answers to this question

Hi @AMB

Q: Does the Object Info Palette indicate they have actually been eliminated (i.e. the object was selected but now the OIP now says ''No Selection' OR are they still there but are just invisible? 

I encountered visibility issues while verifying a different issue. The plants were still there but weren't rendering on-screen. They reappeared when I changed the Vectorworks preference Navigation Graphics to 'Good Performance and Compatibility.' See if that works for you.

Other standard things to check include: 

If you're on Windows; Are your graphics card drivers up-to-date? 

Is Vectorworks on the latest Service Pack?

Does restarting Vectorworks rectify this? 

Also, when posting an issue, please include at least what Vectorworks version and Service Pack you're on. 

Hi again @AMB

I've been testing the other issue I'm investigating and have encountered what I suspect you're experiencing, however it only occurs when the view is 'Rotated Top/Plan.' 

I've confirmed this issue in both;

• Vectorworks 2017 SP5 and 
  • Vectorworks 2018 SP5; 

It occurs;

When two or more plant objects created in a Rotated Top/Plan view are selected and the 'Change Plant Grouping' command is used.

The result;

Each plant object gets replaced by a polyline that matches the combined paths the objects were originally drawn with, but it is repositioned such that the starting point of the polyline is at 0,0. 

I suspect your plants appear to disappear because the polyline/path they get turned into appears at 0,0 and your view is probably elsewhere. 

This issue does not occur in Vectorworks 2019 SP2. Vectorworks 2017 won't receive any more updates and this is unlikely to make it on the list for Vectorworks 2018 SP6 if it's not already on there because it's probably passed the submission stage by now.