Model a bath in 3D as per image

AlbaLLI

Here's an example of how I might approach it. Note that it doesn't take into account the sloped bottom of the bathtub.

Here are the steps in the attached file -

A) Create the curves for the various levels of the bathtub. I traced them off the PDF which I brought in and scaled.

B) Convert some of the curves to NURBS and move them into their 3d positions. I also created a simple extrude from one of the curves for subtraction later and added two linear NURBS curves for guiding the lofts.

C) Loft the interior and exterior shapes using the birail sweep mode (3rd mode) of the Loft tool. Select the two rails and the straight profile curve for each loft. Make sure the create solid checkbox is selected.

D) Subtract the extrude and the inside loft from the main tub solid.

E) Add fillets. Ungroup the model to see the three fillet steps I added.

Add additional details as needed.

Kevin

2069178156_ScreenShot2018-11-05at6_05_29PM.thumb.png.8070ef6fa1c5997338fede54a5599fba.png

Bathtub.vwx

• Like 4

Couldn't help having a go at this one!

Similar to Kevin's approach.

Initial loft was created from 3 nurbs curves, mapping levels of exterior bath (top, bottom, bottom of outlet) in provide PDF section. Scaled and adapted to fit.

- from solid generated, shell solid was then generated, then chamfered relevant edges

- second part was the base, reusing to nurbs curves from step 1, then using the push and pull tool to adjust the heights to match the section height of the base(did this as the push and pull can follow then slope of the solid using the second mode).

- then subtracted internally, then joined to main bath

image.thumb.png.3a1c69cb880182916f02a3daec5e0f0a.png

image.thumb.png.fd29e8bd3439a54c88bbeb1f863ad9d5.png

ModelBath.vwx

• Like 4
13 hours ago, twk said:

Couldn't help having a go at this one!

Similar to Kevin's approach.

Initial loft was created from 3 nurbs curves, mapping levels of exterior bath (top, bottom, bottom of outlet) in provide PDF section. Scaled and adapted to fit.

- from solid generated, shell solid was then generated, then chamfered relevant edges

- second part was the base, reusing to nurbs curves from step 1, then using the push and pull tool to adjust the heights to match the section height of the base(did this as the push and pull can follow then slope of the solid using the second mode).

- then subtracted internally, then joined to main bath

^ this is a great solution! I love seeing how different people approach a geometry problem. I think all the solutions to create the sloped bottom require making the tub in two pieces.

I think I might re-align the seam when lofting the main tub so that the isocurves are a little cleaner for the sloped portion (bottom tub in the image). The VW interface for aligning them is not great but its a little easier if you Loft in top/plan.

Kevin

816790691_ScreenShot2018-11-06at9_14_34AM.thumb.png.302770f327149ff56ccffa682dc99f89.png

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I think I might re-align the seam when lofting the main tub so that the isocurves are a little cleaner for the sloped portion (bottom tub in the image). The VW interface for aligning them is not great but its a little easier if you Loft in top/plan.

Good point! Looks better..

• 2 years later...

OK - Really cool approaches, everyone!  I didn't directly address @AlbaLLI 's tub, but wanted to explore the "classic" iron clawfoot tubs (ya'know, those based on upside down shape of the old Porches), especially representing the rolled over edges.

I think the drainage can be handled in a number of ways, but for me the easiest is modeling the bottom, as @Kevin McAllister points out, as a separate form, then combining and filleting with "walls" of the tub.

Love @AlanW's fast tub. I messed around with both single rail lofts and BiRail sweep.  Birail is probably better choice.  Both accepted a Fillet Surface (3d Power Pack) but then would not Add Solids for final one piece form.  Also, the bottom needed to be formed from extracted edge of the tub, rather than the initial rail curve.  I think vwx faceting might be an issue with that.  Fortunately, Edge Fillet worked. Mine is a fictional tub.  Lots more to be done to match the various products out there. Still thinking about the feet.  Just don't ask me to do acanthus decoration!

-B

Tub Loft 1Rail.png

Tub BirailSweep.png

Tub v2021.vwx

• Like 4

Holy cow. How did you learn to do this? Seriously. I have so many Youtube videos on so many different approaches to 3D modeling, but

this piecemeal approach is not helping me at all. There seem to be multiple solutions to this, but yours looks very clear. I don't need the

extra contours you added, but it looks like something I could attempt. Thank you!

What I need is a book. "How to Model 3D in Vectorworks." 

@JonzrHi, I learn as much as i can about any program i am using, that way i have more ideas to choose from when i need to solve things. Just play with different tools to see what they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXii3iHDsQM

Here is another way to do the bath and is useful for a lot of other things. Revolve with rail. The section shape follows any plan shape. try different shapes to see the result.

Edited by AlanW
  • Like 1