Mike Wright

Gobos not rendering

I have a Spotlight fixture with a gobo applied. I cannot get the gobo to appear in renders in the file that contains it.  If i copy the light and focus point into a new file then import the renderworks style and background then the gobo appears again.

Anything obvious?

VW 2017, Windows 10

Could be a number of things. I would check the light properties for the light object and make you you have cast shadows enabled and soft shadows disabled. Have you tried just using Fast or Final Quality renderworks?

This happens to me fairly regularly. I render custom gobos frequently for one particular client. It's been happening since at least v2016. I've never been able to pin down exactly what makes it break, so I've never filed a bug report. Sometimes it happens when I move the fixture, other times it seems totally random.

My general solution is:

1) switch the gobo to something different (any generic stock object)

2) re-render

3) switch back to the gobo I actually want

4) render it again

5) repeat until it works

If you're using multiple fixtures, good luck! Sometimes you need to touch every single one to get it to stick.

-Dan

• Like 1

Thanks Dan, I tried those steps a couple of times already, file is with VSS tech support just now, see what they come up with. 

Gobos have been buggy for me the last couple versions of VW. But I don't use them quite enough to nail down when/how things go wrong...

They definitely need some attention.

• Like 1

So the official line is that the problem was caused by a corrupted renderworks camera.  I have had this before, the solution is to create a viewport with the camera active and render that instead.

Thanks Mike. I'm not sure that I buy that official explanation, though. I *always* render using viewports with linked RW cameras. Sometimes the gobo mysteriously disappears, and I can make it come back without re-creating the viewport and linked camera. But until I can pin down exactly what causes it to break, I guess the official line will have to suffice.

-Dan