Insert scalable objects in VW?

I'm a newbie VW user, having retired from AutoCAD.

Is it possible to insert objects in VW and scale them up or down? Objects like detail bubbles, grid bubbles, door swings, and other notation objects?

Am I missing something?

The manual says that symbols can't be scaled, but it appears that plug-ins can be scaled. However I don't want to learn the scripting language to create plug-ins. Is it possible to do it some other way?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Symbols can be scaled, you just have to edit the symbol first and change the size of it.

PIO's can be changed via the OIP such as width, height, and many other parameters.

A revision cloud can be converted to a polygon and resized using the resize cursor.

Grid bubbles can't because they are created based on your click zone.

If you are refering to the overall scale - simply change the layer scale. OR create a viewport at a different scale than the traditional design layer.

What is the purpose for scaling the grid bubble and door swings, etc?

Hi Katie,

I don't want to change the size of the original symbol, just resize it on a particular drawing.

For example, a detail bubble on a 1:1 drawing is 1/2". But on a 1:48 drawing, it's 24".

So I insert a symbol drawn as 1/2" and then resize it to 24" so that it'll be appropriate for that scale.

Does that make sense, or am I missing some way to have these symbols automatically resize for the scale?

Anyway, according to the tuturial CD, if I save a symbol with "convert to group" checked, it should be resizable after it's been inserted. That may be the answer.

But it would be better if the symbol automatically resized according to the scale of the drawing.

Still puzzled,

Dave

David - do you mean that you actually 'draw in scale'? VW is supposed to be always used in 1:1 scale, with the 'apparent' (printing) scale handled as a layer scale and/or viewport scale. All objects are in real world dimensions.

In viewports there is the annotation 'layer' which is in 'paper scale' 1:1 - this might help.

Or maybe I misunderstand?

As comes to PIOs, quite a few (including drawing sheet items) ship with the program and you will find them extremely useful. Can't really recommend rolling your own, tho!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by david bertrand:

Hi Katie,

I don't want to change the size of the original symbol, just resize it on a particular drawing.

You can't scale an instance of a symbol. However, you can duplicate a symbol and then edit that copy, and scale that. If you have a particular size you want your detail bubbles to be for a particular scale, I recommend you do that, and then name your symbols accordingly ("Detail bubble 1:1", "Detail bubble 1:48", etc.)

quote:

If you have a particular size you want your detail bubbles to be for a particular scale, I recommend you do that, and then name your symbols accordingly ("Detail bubble 1:1", "Detail bubble 1:48", etc.)

Thanks Andrew. That's what I was getting at. So it isn't possible to scale a symbol to the drawing scale as you insert it. I'd have to save a separate detail bubble for each drawing scale.

quote:

In viewports there is the annotation 'layer' which is in 'paper scale' 1:1 - this might help.

Petri, your right, the annotation layer is 1:1 and that would be the correct solution since everything inserted there has to do with notations. In AutoCAD I was always accustomed to placing everything into the design layers and eliminate the complication of "paper space" (annotation layer in VW) with all the alignment problems. Inserting notation "blocks" required scaling them up to the plot scale, such as 1:48, etc.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Dave