BIM elevations + context

Hello all, 

Looking to start using vectorworks bim. I'm teaching myself and have some questions regarding general principals of setting up drawings. I'm fairly familiar with revit so its not a huge leap. 

we regularly produce housing sites which currently are produced in the typical way, (from 2D with plans sections and elevations drawn separately). I'd ideally like to produce BIM models of the different housing types, and arrange them by plan, and then be able to generate the elevations and sections from taking views in the model. We generally do not produce a 3d site model as we just view from above. generally our sites are flat or as good as.  Ideally the plans sections and elevations would look identical in style to what we currently produce. 

There is clearly  more to elevations than just the faces of the buildings.  We'd like to be able to add context, trees cars people etc. These would probably want to be done in 2d to maintain the style of drawings that associated with our current output.

In principle would it be ok to set up 2d working planes in front of the 3d elevations to add context? or would this just be crazy way of using BIM? I have trialled it on a simple house and context and it worked, but yet to try it for a site of 50 houses. 

Or would it be possible to link views from the 3d model to a 2d file and draw over the top to add trees and people? 

Appreciate your thoughts 

3 hours ago, rexwexford said:

Or would it be possible to link views from the 3d model to a 2d file and draw over the top to add trees and people? 

I think that is the recommended approach.

You create Viewports of your BIM Model on Sheet Layers.

These will be generated and updated from the BIM Model.

For everything that may be missing, you will add 2D Annotations,

additional Dimensions, Tree Symbols or what else in

VP's Annotation Space.

Of course all what is not included in your 3D Model, will also not be

included or updated in generated Viewports.

So all things manually added in Annotation Space may need to be

also updated manually after Model Changes.

So another option is of course to add 3D Cars, Trees, ... already in the

3D BIM Model. It depends on the specific Workflows and Projects

which method may be best.

• Like 1