Section Elevation Marker 2019 vs 2018

In VW 2018 the section elevation marker tool would allow you to manually link a viewport that you wanted to associate.  This was somewhat useful when developing 2d details/elevations that related to a model or plan of something.  I always told folks in my office that this was an annotation function, and that modeling section cuts happened through View menu bar, by creating a section viewport.

The 2019 version of this tool introduces an ability to create live sections from the section elevation marker tool.  However the ability to manually link the viewport to say a 2d viewport seems to have gone away.

Is this a bug, or the new normal for this tool?

Edited by cberg

Thank you.  Somehow I thought the unconstrained mode defined the shape of the section cut. ( Like it would create developed sections or elevations)  However, it doesn't seem to do this.  I need to read up on this tool!

That said, you are correct the second (unconstrained) mode allows you to manually link the marker to a viewport as it used to. Thank you!

Edited by cberg
4 hours ago, cberg said:

Thank you.  Somehow I thought the unconstrained mode defined the shape of the section cut. ( Like it would create developed sections or elevations)  However, it doesn't seem to do this.  I need to read up on this tool!

I think that is what it's intended to do, but as a side effect of changes made in 2019, you also end up with a different type of object when using the second mode (since "Section Lines" can't be non-perpendicular to themselves, I assume?).

If you use the first mode, simply Convert to Group, and it'll change the "Section Line" object into a "Section-Elevation Marker" object (which is what you're expecting).

It's all a bit convoluted and just another inconsistency to deal with in Vectorworks...

Why are these two separate object types? Why do I get a "Section Line" object when I use the "Section-Elevation Marker" tool? Who's overseeing these decisions?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I find this whole aspect both very useful in converting 3D model files into a set of construction documents, and also very frustrating in that the plan view where you created the section line once linked to a viewport no longer displays the section line marker in the plan view. I logged this in as a bug, and received a reply that's just how it works. In other words, they've given us a great feature, but only followed through half way. Need to generate a 2d floor plan viewport showing the section line/section-elevation marker, link that marker to a section viewport and have that section line appear in the floor plan so that a construction document set can show where the section is taken. I'm told to explode the section marker for it to show up in plan view, but that defeats the purpose of the section line functionality, cause if you decide to move the section line to show something slightly different in the building section, guess what you've got to start over, sounds like a but to me.