Massing model roof profile

You can un-group a massing model.

(But then it's dead)

You'll end up with a separate Extrude body for the Building and a Roof Object.

You can then edit the Roofs gables (as tedious) as for any Roof.

BTW

In VW you can often be so fast, like selecting all Plan 2D Lines and convert it

instantly to Walls. So I don't get why such a Tool with similar potential like

the Massing Model sits there for 20+ years and doesn't get any love over time.

BTW BTW

As VW US is the international VW Version, I am pretty sure there are much more

gabled Roofs in the world than the other ... more complicated ... Roof things.

Edited by zoomer
  • 2 months later...

I've done this via custom roof profile and editing the profile to adjust to gable, which does work, though I've had to do this individually for each building... (you're right @zoomer- it is tedious!) Is there a way to apply to all yet, for future tasks? Assume as it's a custom setting it needs to be per each different building footprint on the site plan, but we would typically look for gable roofs in our massing models too so it would be good if it was automatic, as I'll definitely need to do this again...

63180272_Screenshot2019-01-04at17_04_32.thumb.png.327695b8024d3383d527af876bd3a64b.png

• Like 1

Edit your Massing model preferences. The important settings are the:

use Custom Roof from Profile

Pitched roof. 

You need both. once you have created your massing model, right-click and choose Edit Profile. The profile is a roof object that you can edit like a standard roof.  The buildings in the image are massing models, even the one with the curve on the roof

004.png

005.png

On 1/6/2019 at 9:05 AM, Jonathan Pickup said:

Edit your Massing model preferences. The important settings are the:

use Custom Roof from Profile

Pitched roof. 

You need both. once you have created your massing model, right-click and choose Edit Profile. The profile is a roof object that you can edit like a standard roof.  The buildings in the image are massing models, even the one with the curve on the roof

004.png

005.png

Thanks @Jonathan Pickup - but are these all individual massing models? i.e. one massing model per building? In my example, say I have a 500 house development I’m working on, with 30 different house types across the scheme.

Prior to the massing model tool, I used symbols- a symbol for each house type, and then manual copy, placement and rotation across the plan to complete the scheme.

The beauty for me in the massing model model tool is that I can actually select the 500 building outline polygons at once, and run the massing model tool to generate the entire model of 500 buildings in a couple of clicks - the massing model automatically generates the roof shape for each house type, based on the ground floor plan polygon shapes I’ve drawn, and the height / pitch settings I’ve specified for the buildings. 

However, if I want a custom roof profile, I have to edit this per individual building... so 500 times in this case, which significantly reduces the effectiveness of using the massing model tool in the first place for me. 

I could maybe do a combination, as @bob cleaver has suggested, by creating a massing model for each house type, converting to symbol, and placing and rotating manually, but this is pretty similar to my workflow prior to this tool being introduced. It would be good if there was a setting within the pitched roof controls which would stop me having to copy / paste / rotate & place - it’s easily doable just now with one of the preset shaped roofs, but sadly pitched / gable end is the most common here! 

Edited by lisagravy
Added tags.
  • Like 2