VW 2018 Snap to angle not working - not possible to move objects horizontally

Nick London

Question

Hi there, I've had a bit of an odd issue start and hoping someone may know how to solve it.

When more than one file is open in Vectorworks, I'm unable to move an object snapping to an angle, so I can't move an object horizontally whilst snapping to the horizon for example. It's the same when drawing line, it's unable to snap to any angle, so impossible to draw lines as intended and obviously when trying to draw accurately it's not possible to use. All the snap selections are selected as usual and I've not changed any settings. 

When one file is open that will work fine, but a second file (even a new file) it doesn't work. If any object, even a simple square is copied from the second file into the first then the first file also has the same issue until that object is deleted and the second file closed.

Sometimes but not always I've noticed when bringing the issue into the first main file, if hovering over an unselected larger polygon, the orange selection colour (around the outside of the shape) flickers like crazy when you move the mouse over the top of it. Whereas normally it just goes orange when the mouse it hovered over the top.

TO ADD: when line tool is selected and trying to enter a line at 45 degrees at 1000mm long, when this is typed in, it will just create a line based on where the mouse point is rather than to any of the dimensions entered. And if trying to create a square and entering the specific dimensions, it will simply create the square based on where the mouse is on screen.

It's definitely not related to one specific file, but seems to just happen now as soon as more than one file is open. I work on plans in one file then model up in a separate file which means it's impossible to move objects accurately at the moment so I can't work properly. Any help would be massively appreciated! Thanks.

(This is on an iMac 21.5 Inch Retina/ 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB RAM running MacOS Mojave)

Edited by Nick London

5 answers to this question

I have seen a similar thread (that I don't find anymore) about problems to draw horizontally.

As far as I remember there was a Solution.

But beside that,

unfortunately,

VW 2017 does not and will never run on Mojave !

Only VW 2018 and upwards will get a Patch for Mojave.

And if your Signature is current,

I think your GPU is generally below the minimum Specs for VW 2017 (?)

Edited by zoomer

I'm having the same issue. Since Mojave, no angle constraints with two documents open. Not even using shift. Is there a service pack or patch available yet? Also, in some documents, when I enter a text field it slows down a lot, making it almost impossible to write, like 30 seconds per character. When you exit the text field, the document becomes stable again. 

Edited by RafaelPernia

Yes, there is SP5 for VW 2018 available which should eliminate the worst issues,

and there is Mojave 10.14.1

(Not sure if that fixed bugs beside tons of security issues and new emojis,

but my Mojave problems everywhere feel at least slightly different now)

Edited by zoomer