New Document Set Up BIM. Difference between VW 2018 2019.

Mau

I was starting a new BIM document, and I noticed that 2018 has way more options to start a new document than 2019. Is something that is missing in 2019?

Another question is regarding the AIA Standards - I like the Vectorworks templates with the AIA standard sheets. Now if I start a new document from fresh, not from the document template, would I still be able to use the AIA sheets and Classes? The reason I am asking is that I am struggling once I start with the Standard BIM Documents, it gets a little confusing the Stories and Design Layers located in between Stories. The project that I am working now is residential, not commercial but I would like to develop one file that I can use as a base for all projects.

I am new to Vectorworks as you can see. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 10.01.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 10.03.31 PM.png

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Wes Gardner

Let's see if I can clarify this...

Yes, for 2019 alot of templates were stripped out as some of the info was very old.

If you use a template in 2019, for example, the Architect (imperial).sta template, it is set up "in stories".  Consequently, you'll need to use the wall styles that are "story aware" or "level aware" whichever term you prefer and build your model using stories.

However, if you want to NOT use stories, you'll need to NOT use a template...just start a new blank file.  Any wall style that you use, however, will have level information in it that you'll need to strip out...You can fairly easily convert the "level bound" wall style to a "layer bound" wall style or use one of your own wall styles that DOES NOT have level information in it...

I just uploaded a newer version of Model Set Up in the Model Set Up (Revised for 2019) folder.  It will help you with layer bound and level bound wall styles.

I've included a file with a layer bound wall style in it (see below) if you want to use that and/or see the difference between it and a level bound wall...

I can help you with this if you need... wgardner@vectorworks.net

Enjoy!

Wes

Layer Bound Wall Trainer.vwx

• 1 year later...
Guest Wes Gardner

@ Kohli you can still do this sort of thing where you map the AIA layers and classes to yours.  This is under File > Document Settings > Standard Naming.  These can then be included in a template for your office standards.

Wes

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.01.08 AM.png