Open GL problem seeing walls

Samuel Derenboim

Question

Hi everyone,

I'll be honest, I was always able to work through vectorworks upgrades despite the times when there were bugs in the software before, but now its becoming very difficult. I can no longer work in OpenGl - as the walls tend to dissappear in the file. Here is a screenshot. Have there been similar problems with graphics?

I have the latest drivers installed on a Win 10 machine (fairly fresh install)image.thumb.png.91afd6f83b3092c525ec3765961b1b27.png

• Like 1

20 answers to this question

No, I've tried all 3 settings, I've also tried turning off GDI+Imaging and Anti-Aliasing and in 3d lowered one tick from detailed to responsive in 3d rotation. The thing is, it briefly appears, and then dissappears again. I can't figure out why.

There were a few experiments i've done where the upper stories work when i enable the layer, but the lower story does not for some reason. This is really frustrating. I have a deadline by friday 😑

Maybe a restart will help. Be back shortly.

Edited by Samuel Derenboim
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Everything seems in order as you said, thanks for letting me confirm. You MIGHT see an improvement in behavior by disconnecting and then rebooting one of the machines with a single monitor only as a stopgap workaround, but its very likely this issue is one of the items being corrected for SP2.

I have similar problems, but cannot pinpoint specific instances. 

Today it was using a floating view pane on my other monitor. Glitches like this were happening, things disappearing like section and elevation markers, symbols disappearing and reappearing. I too have a pretty robust computer. It seems to be a lag in redraw ability on the part of VW.

<< sigh >>

Leecalisti, I figured out how to fix it.

Before modifying the file, make sure you make a backup. However, this is the way i fixed it.

I created a new layer - to be on the floor plan as the original layer. then I slowly started cutting and pasting the objects from one layer to the other. Make sure you have OpenGL set on 3d viewing. every time you cut and paste a new object, check to see if it now appears (one by one) in the new layer. For me, after i custom selected all the walls, i went into 3d to check if they appear at that time. Make sure you do this upon every cut and paste object. I feel sometimes there might be a 'problem' object that's preventing the screen from refreshing.

Then slowly custom select the rest of the objects - 1 by 1 (in terms of object type).

I did this the first time, and it didn't work because i didn't switch to 3d view open gl mode, and as a result it replicate d the same problem as before.

Once i did it this way, I was able to restore the layer that had the problem. Usually - this occurs with one or two main layers that you might have. Once you restore the layer, delete the original, and set the story level to the default story level, whether it be finish floor, slab, etc...

Make sure you save between every copy, otherwise if you copy and paste - to make sure you don't copy the problem object that corrupts the layer.

Let me know if this works for you.

That plan as you can see isn't very simple either. Custom selection helps dramatically. In either case, I can't always wait for VW to help, but you can send the file to tech support, see what they can do, at least that's what i did earlier today.

It took me all of 20 minutes experiment for the solution and another 10 to carefully modify the file.

But trust me, I have a deadline this Friday myself, so I've been doubling down on solving this problem myself.

Good luck in getting yours straightened as well!.

• Like 1

Apologies for bringing up an old topic but I've been noticing similar behaviour with glitching of an opengl 3d model. I have discovered that if an object is placed at a far enough distance from the origin it will start to glitch the opengl render. Once this 'rogue' object has been removed and all objects are close to the origin, the opengl renders as expected. Hope this helps.

Niall

• Like 1