Files made in VW 2018 - Lighting Not Working in VW 2019

rjtiedeman

Question

Working files made in VW 2018-SP4 will no longer render correctly in VW 2019-SP1. The Final Quality Renderworks PSD images look way over exposed and can't be repaired in photoshop.

I am running MAC OS 10.13.6. Fortunatly I was able to step back to VW 2018-SP4 to complete my project.

Mac Pro 5,1 - 6 core 3.46Mhz - 32 GB ram, Mac Edition Nvidia GeForce GTX 680.

Edited by rjtiedeman
added mac specs

5 answers to this question

@rjtiedeman Without a photo it would be hard to say what the issue is. I would first check that your ambient lighting level has not changed between the versions (View>Set Lighting Options). If you were looking for a quick fix you could create a viewport from a camera and then adjust the exposure by using a Renderworks Camera Effect. 

7 hours ago, BSeigel said:

@rjtiedeman Without a photo it would be hard to say what the issue is. I would first check that your ambient lighting level has not changed between the versions (View>Set Lighting Options). If you were looking for a quick fix you could create a viewport from a camera and then adjust the exposure by using a Renderworks Camera Effect. 

The ambient lighting is the same for both files so that is not the problem. Attached are 2 side view images one from 2018 the overexposed one is from VW 2019 SP1. The quick fix for me was to STOP using Vectorworks 2019. I am sure if you went into the 100's of files I have from Display projects you could fix the lighting on each of them but that is not a cost effective solution. I am still running Mac OS 10.13.6. This is a import glitch in the software. I have tried the same import on several similar files and the result was the same. I almost do final adjustments in Photoshop but the renders from the 2019 imports are too far off to be adjusted.

2018 screen grab.png

2019 screen grab.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello rjtiedeman:

Is this a design layer rendering?

Can you send me bug file please so I can look?

We added environment reflections for design layers in VW 2019, so that glass and metals rendered more realistically.  This may be what is going on here but I can't confirm without a file.  This should not affect output formats like printing, image exports, render bitmap tool, or viewports.

• Like 1

Yes this was a straight side view design layer rendering not a viewport. I am packing for a trip now so a copy of the file will need to wait. I would need a direct e-mail since I am not allowed to share files with the vectorworks-world.

I noticed  last week when I was trying to fix the problem that I was unable to turn off environment lighting even when I made a box around the can like we would in the photo studio. Light source always came from the left. This upgrade is not helping me at all.

On 10/22/2018 at 6:05 PM, Dave Donley said:

Hello rjtiedeman:

Is this a design layer rendering?

Can you send me bug file please so I can look?

We added environment reflections for design layers in VW 2019, so that glass and metals rendered more realistically.  This may be what is going on here but I can't confirm without a file.  This should not affect output formats like printing, image exports, render bitmap tool, or viewports.

I sent files to VW tech through my service select account and never got an answer to this problem. Whatever. I  have been experimenting on my own and found the answer that works for me. My tests  conclude that  - VW 2019 no longer allows design layer renderings. Now you must create a sheet layer and a viewport

I am an industrial designer associated with several companies doing product development, packaging and display design. I never present through vectorworks sheets but I send design renderings and control line drawings separately so that my clients can change notes and arrange presentations in Adobe CS products. So my needs are different from some one presenting only in VW. In other words I have been taking short cuts to get the jobs done and now I have to pay the price when working with old files.

Edited by rjtiedeman