Work flow suggestions for data tags on sections VW2019 SP1

Hello,

Data tags. Aren't they exciting. 

Can anyone help getting them to work with the sections in my workflow? I don't think its a bad workflow per say, but its not working with the data tags

Workflow....

I have modeled most key elements in 3D, using wall types, floor types and roof types, getting all the offset of the wall components to work correctly with the boundary offsets of the floor components, so all looks mostly like it should in the sectional construction drawings, and then there are a few other beams and other extruded geometry placed throughout the model. BUT due to consistent and recognised bugs (like the window cills being on the wrong side of the wall) I don't model everything so the sections are ready to issue staright from a sectional viewport. I'm some way from that. When they are mostly there, I copy the layer, convert the sectional viewports to polygons, and tidy everything up, add detail etc as per a traditional CAD drawing. The original layer with its sectional viewport remains as a reference, so I can track changes in the model or start the 2D section again following major a rework

Perhaps its not die hard BIM/3D, but its working for me to get correct drawings out in good time.

Problem

So now we have Data tags, but I can't get these to work in my sections. Clearly the exploded section geometry loses all data when converted, the tags can never work here. But unexpectedly, the data tags, are not picking up the wall types (for example) in the  original (unconverted) sectional viewport  WHEN ITS IN A DESIGN LAYER? 

It does appear to work in the sheet layers, if I  make another sectional viewport and section line. But this would mean making another 20 or so sectional view ports, in the same place as the ones I have already, only this time going to the layout, labeling up with tags, turning off all layers in the view port, and floating the annotated viewport over my other viewport containing the converted 2d section. 

This does not sound like a good work flow.

Any ideas? Basically I just need the data tags to work on sectional viewports in the design space. But they don't seem to do this?

Thanks