LJ TMS

Addition of a generic 'Folder Type' in the Resource Manager which allows any resource

Question

VW2017 introduced a reworking of the Resource Manager and added "Folder Types", which restricted folders to only allow objects of a specific type to be placed in them.

I would like the addition of a generic folder type that would allow any object to be placed in it (like the folders pre VW2017).

This would allow me to place miscellaneous resources I very rarely use of various types into a single folder. It could also be used to keep related resources together in a single folder (for example an imported DWG with it's symbols, hatches, line types).

VE-99233

Edited by LJ TMS
  • Like 2

2 answers to this question

I would definitely use these, though it should be noted that pre-2017, only Symbol Folders existed, so only Symbols could be put into folders (meaning no functionality has really been lost). But I do agree that it seems to natural to want to be able to freely organize all resources (for example, sometimes I wish I could put everything that's been imported/referenced into a single folder so I don't have to see those resources).

But perhaps there's a hesitation that this would lead to poor organization and confusion for those who aren't careful? Not sure why else things were implemented the way they were.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I would definitely use these, though it should be noted that pre-2017, only Symbol Folders existed, so only Symbols could be put into folders (meaning no functionality has really been lost). But I do agree that it seems to natural to want to be able to freely organize all resources (for example, sometimes I wish I could put everything that's been imported/referenced into a single folder so I don't have to see those resources).

Interesting, I was certain pre-2017 folders allowed any type of resource to be placed in them. But I found a computer with VW2015 installed and your definitely right, they are strictly symbol folders. Guess my memory is failing me, lol. One thing I did notice and must have been what I was thinking of was that each resource was filed under a collapsible dropdown for that resource type. Seeing that gave me the idea for another feature request...

VE-99234 - Option to auto-sort resources into folder in the Resource Manager

Add a checkbox to the folder creation/editing dialog that would automatically place any new or existing resources of that type to within that folder.

This would give a functionality similar to the dropdowns pre-2017, and I would use this feature for my more create-it-and-forget-it resource types (gradients, hatches, line types, record formats, text styles, worksheets, etc).

15 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

But perhaps there's a hesitation that this would lead to poor organization and confusion for those who aren't careful? Not sure why else things were implemented the way they were.

I agree this may lead to some users to not use folder types altogether and make all folders generic. But I feel one of the great strengths of VW is in it's flexibility. Often times there are multiple ways to accomplish a task, and VW doesn't force you into a strict set of conventions. Two of the benefits of this are (1) you can accomplish tasks and organize in a way that best suits you, and (2) often times if I run in a bug, I can find another way of accomplishing the same thing by skirting around it.

I think flexibility in allowing us to organize in the way that best suits our needs is very beneficial (especially with the range of disciplines that use VW), even if it allows less experienced users to do things in a way we may consider disorganized. For example, I would be pretty upset if VW decided there is only one way to organize our classing structure, and everyone needs to adjust to the way VW deemed 'correct'.

Edited by LJ TMS
  • Like 1