Printing in Vw9

Hi all-

I cant quite get my brain around this one, thought I would put it to you experts-

I only have an 8x11 regular inkjet printer for checking proofs, prior to shipping files to the big printshop. When I go to print, its only one page or section at a time. What I tell VW to print- and what comes out- are two different things.

I have the printing cut/grid display up, and I am getting more on a page than it shows- its also not following my 1/4" scale (makes things smaller) and, patterns and hatches are coming out at a far higher resolution- for instance, I have a tile floor that is maybe 12 squares by 10, but when it prints, there are twice as many squares in the same area.

I looked around in print setup, I dont see anything that makes sense to change. One thing I did figure out- if I check "print patterns at on screen resolution" the patterns get better- ie not as high resolution- but still arent what is displayed on my screen. The scale problem still exists, however.

Bear in mind I am still stuck on VW9... have to convince my boss to pony up for the newer version at some point! It looks great. My kingdom for some viewports...

Take care all, happy holidays, and thanks in advance for any ideas.

Eric

[ 12-27-2004, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: EricT_Draftsman ]

Hi Katie- Sorry I didnt provide the above before.

VW version 9.5.2, PC version

Windows XP Pro

Printer(s)

Canon i80

HP 1115 photosmart

Both printers have the same scaling and pattern res problem, leading me to think something is up with VW.

The print preview pic chops up the pic correctly - but more than what is in any one section is printed for that section.

Eric

Go to the Page menu and select Set Print Area.

What is selected in the drop down nox?

If it says anything other than ONE PAGE, please include what the height and width measurements are in this dialog box.

Now go to File>Page Setup (print setup). What page size do you have selected?

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

Go to the Page menu and select Set Print Area.

What is selected in the drop down nox?

--

ASME D

34x22

Show page breaks- checked

--

quote:

Now go to File>Page Setup (print setup). What page size do you have selected?

Page size is 8.5x11, standard.

The only thing that changes things is if I check the "print patterns at on screen resolution" - it helps the patterns, but the scale is still off.

I am certain this is probably something dumb I am either doing, or supposed to be doing and am not. Thanks for taking the time to help out Katie- [smile]

Eric

Under Page>Set Print Area- set that to ONE PAGE (scroll up to the tip top)

Then go back to the File>Print Setup dialog box and ensure the letter paper size is still selected.

The gray print boundary border is going to be about 12 times smaller than it was previously. You may need to move it so it fits around the correct part of the page using the Move Page Tool (behind the pan tool - it looks like a hand near the arrow tool)

You may also need to now change your layer scale so everything you want to print on the letter sheet size fits. You can simply change the layer scale for the printing layers.

In the Print dialog box, check mark Print Patterns at On Screen resolution. You may not have this option, I can't recall which version of VW this was introduced .. and I don't have VW 9 here at home, but I'll dbl check tomorrow when I'm back at work.