Wall component detail not showing in horizontal clip cube viewports??

David S

Question

Hello. Had this issue for a while now. It's been so long I can't remember if its been escalated. Just wanted to check if anyone has had the same problem or maybe even found a fix. It prevents us from using VW efficiently for some of our working drawing viewports and gives us a one way ticket back to inefficient 2D land  a standard created on-plan viewport of a design layer produces the correct level of wall component detail. A horizontal clip cube of the model of the same floor/ walls etc produces random blank wall detail, and yet the same clip cubed viewport model of a vertical section displays the wall component detail! Any replies/help gratefully received. Thank you.  

clip  kingswood.JPG

16 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is the main reason you saw almost no mention of Advanced Horizontal Sections yet. It's useful enough in some scenarios that it merited being made live, but it isn't up to where we want it to be to become a solid flagship feature we include in workflows and tutorials. The deficiencies you listed however are already in the pipe to be added.

• Like 1

Thanks @JimWModeratorTest at least i do know I haven't gone mad. For the record and as I said this is the reason we have not progressed with using entire 3d/component wall/roof/slab modelling for our   working drawings: it is hugely frustrating and requires us to re-venture into time consuming 2d land. I am going to namecheck @Tamsin Slatteron this just so she knows one of my issues appears to be WIP .  

Hi Matt thanks for your time on this. I have been liaising with @JimWModeratorTest and also @Tamsin about this historically and thought this bug had already been submitted many moons ago? I'm surprised it hasnt been escalated by other users/Architects as it is quite a common thing to do to take a horizontal section (or may be not!). Thanks again, I am having difficulty tagging people on this thread (even you!)

We may have other bugs about this same issue, but I could not find any after doing a quick search in our system.

You're right that this is a common need and it is a high priority to fix it. There's something about your file that exposes the issue where our internal testing did not. Other users may not have mentioned it because they may not have seen the issue.

Digging a little more into your file I discovered it's related to the Tile fills used in the Stud components of the walls. Changing the tile to another one (that does not show the stud) seems to fix the problem. While not ideal, it might help you work around the issue for now.

Hi @Matt Panzer. I got lost in a vectorworks vortex initiated by @line-weight in a (separate) discussion about horizontal clip cubed sections and returned to this little issue. FYi the same problems occur if the walls are tile filled or are made of components. The lower image is a standard viewport top plan and the above is a clip cubed horizontal viewport. The internal wall detailing is randomly missing in some of the walls in the top image? I do hope this can be fixed in 2020. What is the bug number please?

fill.jpg

• Like 1