RW Styles: Quality settings for Blurriness & Soft Shadows

Andy Broomell

I've recently realized that I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a difference when changing the quality levels of either Soft Shadows or Blurriness from Low to Very High, for example. I always happen to also increase Anti-Aliasing when I'm doing final renderings, which seems to be the actual setting that smooths out shadows and blurriness. I mistakenly thought the Soft Shadows and Blurriness settings were the important factors, but today as I'm preparing to teach Renderworks Styles by going through settings one at a time, I've realized I can't make either of these quality levels do anything discernible. What do these two settings actually DO? Or is something broken?

726150038_ScreenShot2018-10-16at8_48_13PM.thumb.png.d6a55d60655b0547e2a51c8aed750e36.png

891596858_ScreenShot2018-10-16at10_54_37PM.thumb.png.49d51b300fda700a5685244e3c6c1910.png

Edited by Andy Broomell
Chasing down the problem...
  • Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Your findings line up with some things I've been seeing after more rendering work. I have not been able to make the Soft Shadows quality setting affect the end result at all.  Blurriness however, I think I see a difference when I had a blur applied to a transparency shader, (for things like privacy glass or ice,) but not for blurs applied to reflectivity. 

I do intend to track these down further, and I'll be able to devote more time to them after the Summit is over.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

Blurriness however, I think I see a difference when I had a blur applied to a transparency shader, (for things like privacy glass or ice,) but not for blurs applied to reflectivity. 

Ah, I hadn't thought of testing it on a blurred transparency. I do see the difference there as well, thank you!

14 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

Your findings line up with some things I've been seeing after more rendering work. I have not been able to make the Soft Shadows quality setting affect the end result at all.

Thanks for confirming! I'm going to go with this for now.