Lines, anything 2D disappears

MHBrown

Question

Not just lines, but almost everything in VW2018 latest SP, whatever that is. I'm working in Screen Plane Only (though VW stubbornly refuses to stay there). I go into a group/symbol to edit. I look at the object in front view. I draw a line, a circle, an anything. It looks like it works, but it instantly disappears.

This. Is. Un. Acceptable.

Along with the dead slow performance, the inscrutable texture mapping, and the infuriatingly unmodifiable bloatware called the Resource Manager, I vote VW2018 a bust. Really. I apologize for the rant, but why can I not draw a 2D line in front view of a 3D object? Why can't I use OpenGL in symbol edits? Why do I have to wait for 10 seconds for the screen to redraw? I cannot work in 3D because in VW it is way, way too imprecise, so please no suggestions along that line. I create 3D models, but prefer to do it two dimensions at a time. What in the world am I doing that is causing VW to hide my work? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Usually the disappearing thing is related to plane modes.  I agree - this is basically f***ed in the last few releases.

If you are inside a symbol - you might need to be in either "Symbol definition" mode or "3D" from the pulldown before you draw.  I don't know if this is the issue, but try it out.

This is a constant annoyance and problem.  As Kevin says, it has to do with 2d screen objects in views other than Top/Plan.  When this happens, if you marquee-select, you can see the object highlighted and you just have to feel around blind for the snap points.  By the way, I have isolated when VW switches from "Screen plane only" to some other 2d object creation mode.  It happens when you edit a viewport crop in a sheet layer.  I haven't found any other event that causes that particular problem.

PS: still haven't found anything but the very rare occasion when layer plane objects are actually useful.  3d polys do most of the same things, except display with fills and hatches.

PPS:  in the same vein, screen plane objects in other than Top/Plan no longer display their line color.  And objects with white fill have a black fill, with my hardware at least.

Edited by P Retondo

I'm on an iMac. See the attached screen shot. The problems I am having are not related to the file with the exception of some of the speed issues. I usually create a symbol by taking the 3D object in Top view and doing a convert to polygons so it matches exactly in Top/Plan. VW apparently handles this in a very crude way. Rather than taking the original geometry from extrudes when available and creating circles from a series of concentric points or some other efficient interpretation of the plan curved geometry, it ham-handedly just converts everything to tiny or large polygons. I had over 200,000 polygons in one 2D symbol, so naturally it struggled to draw each instance. As I recall this is exactly what MiniCAD 5 did. I expected a bit more advancement in two decades of fine tuning. Perhaps instead of thinking up new protractor icons for the Rotate Tool, the programmers could investigate  more elegant ways to convert 3D orthographic views into 2D. Anyway, I redrew all the 2D symbols that had curves using arcs, circles, etc. and it has speeded up a lot.

Anyway, there is no reason to post the file since I discovered this on my own and fixed it. The other problems rest with something else and are not file-specific. Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 8.29.15 AM.png