Greetings, and a wall cavity question

Hi all!

Yet another Autocad 2002 user strolls in, now using VW... Actually, I got a great job opp here, the caveat being to learn the VW package to do it. Which I am coming along well enough, but any materials for learning would be appreciated.

I thought I read here awhile back of some book, around 100$, that went over all the VW functionality, plus drawing strategy- not how to use the tools, but when and why. Someone here sells it I think? Any info on that would be spectacular.

On to my specific question-

The arch I am working for wants all of the layers of wall- IE drywall, studs, foam insulate, stucco- represented and drawn in one fell swoop. So I built a wall with offset cavities that looks perfect. The problem- reproducing it. If I use the wall tool again, it doesnt retain my cavity setup. All I have left at my disposal is cut paste and join, which seems a bit excessive- but if necessary, not a problem. Just curious if I can assign cavity info to a class (IE wall subclass) and have it stick every time.

Bear in mind... I am working on PC version 9.5, the architect I am doing the drafting for is workin on a mac, using version 8. I will try to talk him into upgrading to 11 all around later, but thats a big step. One thing at a time...

Also- great to be here. Great place to learn!

Eric

[ 12-21-2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: EricT_Draftsman ]

Hi Eric. There are two different wall creation tools in VW's Architect (I'm not sure whether they are both in the "basic" VW's package). One is the "wall" tool, which I assume you have been using. The second is the "wall type" tool which has the ability to remember your settings (and also ships with many wall types already predefined). Go the menu item AEC>SELECT WALL TYPE which allows you to select, create and/or edit various different types of walls (eg: wood frm'd, CMU, steel studs, etc). After you have edited and then applied (selected) a wall type for use, you will find the "wall type" tool under the regular wall tool in your walls palette. Hope that helps! :-)

Eric

Check out Custom Tool/Attribute under the Organise menu.

- Create the wall the way you want it,

- Draw a piece of wall and leave it selected and the Wall tool active.

- Select Custom Tool/Attribute under the organise menu.

- Select the Attributes you want.

- Click OK

- Save the script with a name that appropriately describes the wall type.

This will create a Script pallette (give it a name such as Wall Types) attached to your drawing which can be called up through the Window menu. Just double click on the Script name in the pallette and it will bring up the Wall tool and wall type for the script so that you can draw the wall.

Other wall types can be added to this Script pallette by repeating the above process.

This Script pallette can then be imported into other drawings. I would suggesting importing it into a new drawing based on your Termplate drawing and then saving this as a new Template file (overwriting the old one) so it is there for all new jobs.

It would probably be prudent to read the relevent section in the manual first so that you have an understanding of what you are doing before you tackle it.

This process is pretty simple really, and can be used for all sorts of presets for tools such as wall types, text types, line types etc.

All it does is write a small macro program that you invoke by double clicking on it. The capability has been around for ever, but as the program has become more sophisticated the need for most users has diminished. Check it out but because it provides a very quick way of automating activities,.

PS for one offs you can transfer wall cavities from one wall to another using the Eyedropper tool. One proviso though - it is only effective when the walls are the same width. I usually use solid walls at the design stage and then convert these walls to cavity walls at the documentation phase by selecting all of the walls and using the eyedropper to change their attributes. Using different classes for each wall type makes life a bit easier here.

Eric

Training suggestions:

- The OzCAD multimedia CD by Julian Carr (very good).

- The ArchonCAD training manuals.

- The Janis Kent Works Manual (if it is still available).

I have also found the current NNA training CD's to be very good. They are for version 11 though - it might be worth asking them if the earlier version Training CD's are still available.

Thanks Mike!

I just popped off an email to Jonathon at ArchonCad.

I will search for the others, thanks.

Wish I didnt have to run the older version, but its a good place to start- since I have to!

Eric

Edit- Since I got such great suggestions concerning the wall tool here, I decided to split my request for older training manuals into a different thread. Thanks for the help here guys!

Eric

[ 12-21-2004, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: EricT_Draftsman ]