Auto-classing causes crash

Boh

I've just created my own custom class standard. When I turn on Auto-classing via the Standard Naming dialogue with my new standard as the active standard VW crashes.

This is the first time I have tried to set up standard naming.

Reviewing previous posts suggest auto-classing is a bit buggy. Is anyone using it?

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

I use it all the time and find it very helpful. I don't think I've experienced crashing, so no I haven't had problems with it. I wish, however that some of the tools would remember the class choices I made after the first insertion of a plug-in object, and not keep offering the default classes.

Which tool are you having problems with?

Thanks Mark

It crashes straight after turning on auto classing. Though I tried importing my class stds worksheet into a blank file and then turning on auto classing and it didn't crash.

Id like to get it working on our template files, however so far I'm just getting crashes.

The other issue is, and maybe it's related to the crashing, is that the class attributes all need to be reset through the standard naming dialogue. I have extg classes that I want to use for auto classing which already have class attributes set, however in the standard naming dialogue these all need to be reset as if I'm creating new classes. So atm the classstds worksheet has very odd settings for class attributes as I still need to edit them to my preferences. Which perhaps causes the crash as after turning on auto classing VW needs to suddenly change the class attributes of all those extg classes to match the worksheet.

Is there a work around to import my extg class attributes into the classstds worksheet or do I need to go through and edit them all one by one to match my extg class settings?

I use mostly the Spotlight plug-ins where Auto-Classing works well. However, what I really want it to do is remember my choices so I don't have to endlessly re-enter my standard naming rather than using the one that Vectorworks has developed (which is too labyrinthine for me!). One or two plug-ins that were bought-in from other developers have this function but this has not been introduced across them all which I guess is only a matter of time......?

Spotlight doesn't carry the Class Standards tool yet. I really wish it did.

I wonder if there is a referencing option that you could try that references a Symbol containing objects assigned to all your various classes set to "Attributes by Class". You could reference the symbol into all of your templates. That way, if you change your office standards for any reason, the reference will update across all your files. 

However it still doesn't sort your AutoClass crash problem.

As a side note, I did a User Folder reset the other day because I was getting an enormous amount of crashes and other problems with VWX 2019 and its effect has been transformational. Really! This year is the first year that I allowed the VWX installer to migrate my User Folder and workspace from a previous version. I will think twice about doing this again.