Label legend manager can't choose instrument

pytld

Somehow my label legend manager has lost the ability to choose the Lighting Instrument Layout Symbol  The Choose button is grayed out.  My resource browser still has instruments and seems to be ok.  I loaded an old file and it has the same problem, so the problem is not with the file itself.  I started with a blank file from scratch and I can choose an instrument, so it is somehow related to some contamination I did while using my file.  Any idea what I might have done to cause this problem?  The instrument no longer shows up in the edit layout window, although it used to show up there.  Sometimes there is a single vertical line that might have some relevance to an instrument.  In one case, I was able to select the line and attempt to replace the instrument.  Although I could select an instrument from the resource browser, it didn't appear in the label legend.  How can I get the instrument back?  The label legend still places the labels around the instrument when I use it, though sometimes the labels seem rather garbled, i.e. not exactly where I thought they should appear.

Thanks.

When you go to edit the Label Legend symbol, is a reference symbol in place?

How about a new file. Does the Label Legend manager work properly there?

Are you making 2d or 3D labels or both?

what version of the program are you on?

Edited by markdd

When I edit the Label Legend layout, there is no reference symbol, just a vertical line where the symbol ought to be.  In some legends I can select the line, others not.  When I can select it, I tried to replace the instrument, but that didn't fix it and caused every instance of that legend to have its instrument replaced.  Undo didn't fix it.  I had to go clean it up manually.

When I start a new file, it works correctly.

2D labels

VW2012

Edited by pytld
More info

If a new file has the Label Legend manager working fone, then you may have a corrupted file. I seem to remember this happening occasionally.

You could always make new Label Legends in a separate file and import them in as a workaround. Slightly laborious but would hopefully get you out of trouble.

Apparently more than one file is corrupted since I went back to an old show and I have the same problem.  I fear I have to start the drawing over from scratch.  Making legends in another file and importing them isn't practical long term.  Maybe that will clean up some other problems too.  Is there any way to copy portions of an old file into a new one without having to create everything from scratch?

Two ways: 

Turn on all classes and layers  and select all objects and copy/paste in place. However this will put all the objects on the same layer.

The best way imo is to do a layer import via the Organisation dialogue box. Select all the layers you want to import from the external drawing and make sure that you have the “import layer objects” box checked. All the objects will import using the correct layer assignments.

I hope that works for you.

Edited by markdd

Thanks for the input.  I tried to start over and decided it was more trouble than I thought.  When I have more time, I'll try again.  Meanwhile, I'm keeping the old file and I decided to create a new Label Legend.  Surprise!  It works.  I can't modify the old ones, but I can create new ones.

As I did this, I found several new problems.  The gobo1 field did not go to the position I chose; it was overwriting the channel number.  I played with it, but no luck.  Then I moved it to the side of the instrument instead of the top and bingo, it displayed correctly.  Then I edited again an moved it to the top where it was initially, and it now worked just fine.  I don't know what I did to cause or to fix the problem, but it's fixed.

I tried to use the Text Styles for the color, dimmer, channel, etc.   For some reason the font size comes up at 0.2 pt even though the style says 8pt or 10pt or something bigger.  It copies the other things from the style correctly and when I change the font size, it works ok except the text is no longer linked to the Text Style.  I thought it must be a problem with the text style, but when I went to edit it, everything is correct in the style. 

I don't know what makes this wrong, but I think whatever it is may be related to the initial problem.  I recall a while back editing the label legend and getting the text style problem.  I think I saved it anyway to see what would happen, and then when it didn't work I tried to edit it again I ran into problems selecting it, etc.  I played around with it a lot trying to get it to work, but I think the damage was confirmed once I save the label legend with the funny text style problem.  Maybe I need to replace all the Text Styles too.  If so, it's still better than creating the whole theater plan from scratch.

Update:

I tried to create a text style from the text in the label legend and it created it in 8 pt, but applied it to the font at 0.2 pt and it promptly shrunk to a point.  I guess I can't use text styles.  The style itself is 8pt, but when it gets applied, it shows up as 0.2pt.

More update:

The original problem was caused by the instrument symbol being assigned to the None class, which wasn't displayed.  Displaying it fixed the problem.

Edited by pytld
update on plan
5 hours ago, pytld said:

I tried to use the Text Styles for the color, dimmer, channel, etc.   For some reason the font size comes up at 0.2 pt even though the style says 8pt or 10pt or something bigger.  It copies the other things from the style correctly and when I change the font size, it works ok except the text is no longer linked to the Text Style.  I thought it must be a problem with the text style, but when I went to edit it, everything is correct in the style. 

Did you create the Label Legend while in a sheet layer or with your layer scale set to 1:1? This can cause the text size problems within symbols, especially if now you have layer scale set to something different like 1:25 or 1: 50.  If possible, always edit symbols from a design layer and make sure that you have "Scale Text" checked in your Layer Scale Options.

Edited by markdd

As best I can determine (and I'm a VW novice) the label legend is on a layer with scale 1:48, the same layer as the instruments.  Anything I select is on that layer.  The text style doesn't seem to have a layer associated with it.  All my layers have the same scale.