3D laser to 3D model

Xin

I am wondering if Vectorworks have 3D laser data import option? A client of mine would like to use FARO Focus3D X 330 to 3D scan an existing building for renovation purpose. Would Vectorworks be able to work with 3D data that generated from that 3D laser? If so, what is the method of using those 3D data and generate 3D models in vectorworks?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Normally this is handled with Point Cloud import. We can handle .laz, .las, .pts, .e57, .xyz, and .ply file formats natively. For any other types: there are tools like Cloudcompare and Meshlab that can import the rarer formats and then export the ones we support.

Thanks Jim! I researched more and came across a video below. It shows that vectorworks cloud service can convert a series of regular photos(taken from phones or regular camera) to Point Cloud which is super cool. However, I am curious about how well that conversion is comparing to professional 3D laser service in market? Would it lose a lot of details? Is it more of a exterior and general shape modeling instead of detail interior modeling?

Secondly, the 3d model generate from Vectorworks cloud service doesn't have a unit, so you will need to scale it to match real size. My question is if I got a Point Cloud file from surveyor (let's say a .laz file), import it into Vectorworks, generate a 3d model. Is the model true to size? or do I need to scale it?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 minutes ago, Xin said:

However, I am curious about how well that conversion is comparing to professional 3D laser service in market?

A professional 3D scanning service would almost assuredly produce superior results. The main advantage of the service we offer is that it is a middle ground between having nothing at all to start from, and the high overhead cost of scanning hardware/hiring a scanning firm.

12 minutes ago, Xin said:

My question is if I got a Point Cloud file from surveyor (let's say a .laz file), import it into Vectorworks, generate a 3d model. Is the model true to size? or do I need to scale it?

I believe thats file format dependant, but I do not know which formats support it and which dont. However, scaling it is very easy with Scale Objects, you simply need to have a reference length somewhere in the imported scan. This is often a building height or length, or a room height or length depending on what you have scanned.

• 4 weeks later...