2019 SP1 is FUBAR

jnr

Question

So like a fool, I updated my glitchy crashy 2019 release to SP1 thinking it would solve slowness, lousy video, and other erratic behavior. Silly me. Now undos don't work correctly especially if undo-ing thru a group. Rotated saved views now don't rotate all layers (which they did just fine before SP1), only rotates a design viewport. Again, all worked before SP1. Like other posts seeing weird erratic wall behavior. Again, not an issue before SP1.  God forbid one use the space tool. Navigating, modifying etc is like watching paint dry. Oh, and the viewports going black and dying cause they cant process indirect lighting--still not fixed.

SOMEBODY MAKE THIS STOP. We're getting really tired of broken, SLOW software.

Seriously considering switching after all these years. Can't keep losing billable time.

• Like 3

12 answers to this question

Yeah, what is going on?  I've had nothing but glitchy, unstable behaviour since I installed 2019.  Now worse after SP1.  In fact, I just had to export my file back to 2016 so I can get something done.  

Problem is, the glitchy-ness is so random, I can't nail it down to offer tech support anything to dig into.  Chances are, something that didn't work before re-starting all the sudden works, but something else breaks.  I actually pulled the trigger on this upgrade in particular as it was touted as being "about quality".

A bit frustrating.... 

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@jnr following up on the private reply I sent, we'd really like to get more info on these problems if possible (specifically the Saved View and Undo problems - I think we have a handle on the other issues mentioned). We spent some time trying to duplicate these using our own files but didn't have any luck. Any details or test files you can offer would be much-appreciated. 

On 10/12/2018 at 5:28 PM, Ride said:

Problem is, the glitchy-ness is so random, I can't nail it down to offer tech support anything to dig into.  Chances are, something that didn't work before re-starting all the sudden works, but something else breaks.  I actually pulled the trigger on this upgrade in particular as it was touted as being "about quality".

A bit frustrating.... 

Completely random.  It feels to me like the more you use hotkeys, the glitchier it is.  The problem is I can't always repeat.  IT takes several times hitting escape button and space bar to get the hand tool to come up.  Not just that but several tools on just don't respond to the first touch of the keyboard.  It's no tht keyboard, works perfectly with ohter programs like Sketch up and Photoshop.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:08 PM, CarlosMPA said:

completely agree! I'm also getting many many crashes on simple tasks.

just this morning it crashed 3 times while trying to add annotations text on a viewport.

hope they fix this quick.

2019 has some great new features, but what's the point if we can't use the software consistently?

The Majority of my crashes happen during autosave backing up.  I noticed this recently if I make an action as it is saving, poof vectorworks is gone.  A;so the keyboard shortcuts are EXTREMELY FUBAR.  It's not just me,  I use the same key strokes as with 2018, however especially dealing with text it wont' back out and give me control it continues typing my key strokes, or even worse instead of making a dimension I am typing an "n"N in the drawing labels tool or stuck in the tool I am trying to leave.

so far 2019 is an efficiency killer for me.

• Like 1

Martin:

Seeing similar behavior. Crashing and not saving changes since the last open. Fortunately I haven't lost too much each time. Behavior varies depending on whether its a converted 2018 or a fresh 2019 file. Oddly, the converted files (with all their problems) are more stable than the native 2019 files. Reliability is clearly a major problem for this program and recent corporate efforts in my opinion, have not been successful. As evidenced by 2019, its gotten worse, not better. 

ugh.

• Like 1

@WEAREBVR Would you mind messaging me copies of the VW files where you're seeing these problems, so we can take a closer look? I tried some Bitmap tracing myself and didn't see any crashes, so it probably depends on the specific Bitmap. Web View export also seems to be working with other files so there must be something specific there, too. We really appreciate the help!

Tim - QA

@MartinFahrer would you mind sending me a private message with the last four digits of your serial number, so I can look-up your crashes in our Analytics site? 

I'm also looking into the keyboard shortcut problems you mentioned. It doesn't seem like other users are reporting this so it's kind of a mystery, but I'll contact the engineers responsible for keyboard input and let you know what I find. Can you just let me know your operating system, type of computer, and type of keyboard so I can pass it along?

Thanks for your help,

Tim - QA