Snap / constrain function not working

LJN

Question

I have set up Vectorworks Fundamentals 2017 on a new machine running Mac OS 10.14 Mojave.

On installation, I was prompted to download Vectorworks2017-SP5 update.

So I installed that.

All works except the snap function.

Tried checking the snap preferences, all fine there, tried pressing back quote ( ') but no snap

No snap on holding the shift or option keys.

So can't draw 90 degree lines or snap to anything. 

Or even extend a straight line.

The only way to draw a straight line is to input the angle value.

If I start a new drawing, the snap functionality is there, but if I change the scale from 1:1  to 1:100 or similar, the snap functionality disappears.

Same thing if I copy anything into the drawing from an existing drawing.

I am only working in 2d Top/Plan view

Any ideas welcome.

Edited by LJN

4 answers to this question

The most likely culprit is that I believe only VW2018 and VW2019 are compatible with Mojave... and even those users are having significant compatibility issues that are documented at length in the NEWS YOU NEED section of the forum. Do read through the many posts regarding Mojave compatibility.

From what I have read VW2017 will not be updated to work as you have become accustomed with Mojave. 😢

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

While @RGyori is correct that the most likely culprit is Vectorworks and Mac OS incompatibility, I don't believe VW2018 and VW2019 are confirmed compatible with Mac OS Mojave just yet. The official Mojave compatibility article can be found here. And if you need them, instructions on how to downgrade from Mojave to High Sierra are here.

Older versions of Vectorworks (and other software that is out of its development cycle and that relies on internal components of the Mac OS) are not typically updated to run on newer Mac operating systems. Apple often changes the Mac OS enough "under the hood" from one OS to the next that trying to update an old version of software for a new OS can be a tremendous amount of work, if it's even possible at all.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

At the moment that it is what's advised until Vectorworks can be confirmed compatible with the new Mac OS.

I know how tempting and easy Apple makes it to upgrade, but it doesn't hurt to wait a bit to ensure compatibility before upgrading the OS.

• Like 1