Anyone notice buggyness with the space bar (Pan tool)

MartinFahrer

Question

Every time I go to move around the plate and use the space bar to bring up the temporary Pan Tool to move around it doesn't always bring the pan tool up. Often doing an action I don't want.

One example I alter text either size, or justification etc.  I have to hit escape then "x" then space bar to pan around.  Every time I hit the space bar it switches things in the dialogue box I was working in. For example instead of going to hand it will change the txt justification, or font size.  I hate the wasted movement of hitting two differnt keyboard strokes before having to hit Pan.

1- Does this frustrate anyone else or is it just me?

B- Is there any work around?

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Not so far, but I often use middle mouse click to pan. I'll favor the spacebar today while I'm working and see if I can replicate it. I have sometimes had it conflict with Office products strangely enough, but that normally happens in short stints between Microsoft updates and I hadn't heard of it recently happening until this thread.

12 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

Not so far, but I often use middle mouse click to pan. I'll favor the spacebar today while I'm working and see if I can replicate it. I have sometimes had it conflict with Office products strangely enough, but that normally happens in short stints between Microsoft updates and I hadn't heard of it recently happening until this thread.

It's all within vectorworks.  I use Hot keys all the time to switch between tools.  Easiest way is to select a font (like pictured) change the size, then hit the space bar to pan.  Instead of changing to the pan tool it, changes the font size instead.  The same with justification.  you have to hit "esc" "x" then space to pan.  When using short cuts for speed it kinda defeats the purpose when you have to remember to hit to more keyboard strokes.

I'm also having some issues when I use "4" to make a rectangle then press "shift M" to go to the move tool, I end up creating another rectangle.  Although this one isn't consistent, some times it works, others not so much.  I am in "designer" workspace.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, MartinFahrer said:

It's all within vectorworks

Apologies, I didnt mean that the spacebar wasnt working in Office, i mean that the spacebar for pan might stop working in Vectorworks when Office products were running at the same time. However thats just one of the causes I've seen. Does the same thing happen after restarting the machine completely?

Just now, Jim Wilson said:

Apologies, I didnt mean that the spacebar wasnt working in Office, i mean that the spacebar for pan might stop working in Vectorworks when Office products were running at the same time. However thats just one of the causes I've seen. Does the same thing happen after restarting the machine completely?

No worries, clarification is always great!  Space bar is working,  It happens consistently that is for sure under various conditions.  I use IM client for Email.  Also forgot to attach my reference lst reply

select.JPG