Title Block Border Settings Tab Between Fields

Wesley Burrows

Question

22 answers to this question

I'd be very surprised if it isn't related to this -

and  this -

These custom fields act the same way as the text mode used for Callouts so tabbing isn't possible and Return generates a line return instead of exiting the dialog. Its super frustrating that these decisions were made in this way.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
5 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello Wesley, Kevin,

Check out this answer, its about the same question

If you still have troubles tabbing using the workaround or in Service Pack 1, let me know.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Nikolay,

Thanks for the info. The original problem is not fixed in SP1. You can tab between single line fields but not into any of the multiline fields. Making all of the custom text fields multiline has created a huge handicap. The drawbacks far outweigh the limited benefit. We need to be able to tab and we need to be able to exit a multiline field/the dialog using the Return key. The inconsistency with the VW interface is hurting productivity.

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Kevin,

42 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The original problem is not fixed in SP1.

- Strange, I have just tested this to confirm and it is working fine for me in SP-1 for all controls. Make sure you have the option mentioned in the topic I have mentioned above set to "All Controls".

Let me know if the issue persist even with this option on.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello Kevin,

- Strange, I have just tested this to confirm and it is working fine for me in SP-1 for all controls. Make sure you have the option mentioned in the topic I have mentioned above set to "All Controls".

Let me know if the issue persist even with this option on.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Nikolay,

I should clarify my response. The workaround works (all controls) but the original problem is not fixed.

Kevin

Kevin, Wesley,

This option is required for the TBB tabbing to work, as, apart from the visible Text Box fields, we have groups and other controls that are not visible and this is blocking the tabbing, if the option is not set to "All Controls". Setting this option to "All Controls" is not a workaround, it is required by design.

I hope it is not a problem to have this option set to "All Controls".

Best Regards,

Niko

On 10/13/2018 at 2:14 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

@Jim Wilson NV needs to hear this is not a viable long term solution. For now I will sacrifice the usability of the Title Block Border to preserve 25 years of tabbing between X and Y.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it has to be said and heard.

One of the many, many, many reasons we need to dramatically alter the UI both on top and behind the scenes.

• Like 2

To tag onto Kevin...

Changing the System Preferences option to "All Controls" is absolutely not a solution. Another example reason to not change this setting is that when you double-tap the "4" key to quickly insert a rectangle at a specific size, the dialogue box's focus now defaults to a non-existent field at the top, and you have to tab 3 times to get to Width. Compared to leaving the setting as it was, double-tapping "4" would default to "Width" (as one would expect, and which allows for the fastest entry of data).

492840255_ScreenShot2018-10-15at10_57_10PM.thumb.png.1d1a79e10bcb846fdeda57c35149c8e3.png

Blue rectangle at top is result of changing the tab setting as described above.

• Like 1

This all started when custom text fields in Title Block Borders became multi-line instead of single line. This happened during the transition from the old title block to the new title block. I'm not a programmer but there are two interim solutions I can imagine -

1. Force all custom text fields back to single line for Title Block Borders for the time being and place any remaining multiline fields at the top of the Title Block Border edit dialog so its possible to tab through the fields below them.
  2. Or add a new field type, so that there's a single line text field and a multi-line text field. Then those of us that don't need multi-line fields can avoid this problem entirely. (Wish listed here - link)

@Andy Broomell's post brings to mind an entirely different question - would you file the phantom field as a bug??? I think if I saw that normally I would but the "All Controls" workaround puts us in uncharted territory.

Kevin

It would be great to Tab between the fields on the Project Data within a Title block - could be made universal throughout all settings for Title block but the one I use multiple times daily are my Titleblock Project Data and always find myself thinking I can tab between field to enter the next data field 

1 hour ago, cwojo said:

Yes bug = not working so add it - SP1 did not add it to the Mac version - read your thread still does not work - shouldn't have to do a workaround 

He just meant that it doesn't need to be filed as a wishlist item because it's already being tracked as a bug. No worries, combining threads now.

• Like 1