Vectorworks 2019 SP1 Updater Not Working

uglycat

Question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We've had one other instance of this so far, and it looks like it was related to the user's firewall settings. We simply disabled it entirely on their machine and then ran the updater again. I will check with support and see if they've had other cases, but I suggest trying that for the moment if you have control over your local and/or network firewall.

Possible workaround to update fail:

Context

1. Vectorworks 2019 folder in the system Applications folder includes the Vectorworks 2019 Updater App (along with the vwx app, libraries, etc, etc)

2. The Updater can launch and install vwx updates without launching vwx and clicking the Check for Updates.

Workaround (performed starting prox noon PST 10/10/2019)

A. I attempted to update via the Updater App (vwx is not launched) by dbl clicking the Updater App in Applications> Vectorworks 2019 folder.

B. Updater launched, but  initial screen indicated I needed to Refresh the Updater which offered an Update button (wish it was labeled "Refresh").

C. Clicked Update. Watched progress bar, then a screen showing my vwx 2019 version, serial number, install file path plus a note that sp1 is available

D. Clicked the Update button. A progress bar appeared and completed.

E. An Up to Date notice appeared and offered a Launch button.

F. Launch was successful. v2019 responds to navigation, tool use, etc.

G. Vectorworks menu>About Vectorworks indicates  2019 SP1 (Build 456974) (64-Bit)

Speculation

•The Check for Updates button in the Vectorworks menu launches the Updater App in background, but is incapable of forcing Updater App to Refresh.

• Like 1

Benson, Thanks for your input but no luck with that. By your nomenclature it sounds like you are running a mac so its possible there is no issue on that side of things. I can add that I was successful installing the update on another windows 10 pc with no issues, just the work system that is having this problem. I will add too that the system the install worked is using an AMD video card and this one is on an Nvidia if that matters. I submitted a request to tech support.

My update did not work first try.  I thought it was same or similar issue.  On reflection, it was more likely a slow internet connection and what I saw was the updater app refresh stalling out.  I tested the connection speed (about 1 mbp) rebooted the modem (improved to a blazing 10 mbp), then launched the updater app with Vectorworks not running. It refreshed and updated successfully.  Anyway, sorry you are having trouble and hope it gets solved soon.

-B

UPDATE: I tried installing again doing what Jim suggested again by disabling the firewall and virus protection however this time I logged out and back in before I launched the updater, I'm not smart enough to know why that worked but it did and now am running SP1. Maybe a shared file is being by something else preventing the updater from running?!?! Thanks Jim

False positive security alert it looks like. No danger for you there @uglycat, those two items are ours.

However, it does indicate that you have security software that is definitely thinking Vectorworks is a threat. Is this just Windows Defender in the screenshot here? We may be able to add the entire Vectorworks 2019 folder to it's exclusion list to prevent it from stopping the updater or giving you other alerts like this.

If that software already removed any of those components however, they will stop functioning fully in Vectorworks and we might need to have you perform a reinstall after we get your security settings under control.

Its very unlikely you actually have a virus or trojan of any kind, sometimes protective software incorrectly misidentifies our tools as such because we use common python libraries and other external resources. We just need to tell Windows Defender to ignore it.

Go to Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Security > Virus & thread protection. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings, and then under Exclusions, select Add or remove exclusions. There should be an option to add Folder, add the Vectorworks 2019 folder completely, then confirm the exclusion and restart the machine. Launch Vectorworks and let me know the results.

You should try and use the Select Similar tool as a test, if it works, then you can likely resume working. If it fails, we may need to run a Repair.

You can try this:

Launch the Vectorworks 2019 Updater application, it should be in a folder of the same name in the Vectorworks 2019 application folder. On the right side, click the Advanced menu, then click Repair.

This utility is new in 2019, if this does not work, we can do a reinstall.