Trim tool 'cuts' up rectangles

I draw purely in 2D using lines and polygons/rectangles.  In older versions of VW I would plunk my window into a wall and 'cut' the wall with a temporary line to break it.  Now when I do this it also breaks up the rectangle I have that represents the jamb which I don't want.  Older versions used to leave the rectangle intact.  Is there a fix or work around to this aside from using a addition number of key strokes to remove the rectangle then paste in place when I am done cutting?

Thanks in advance 

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 9.52.42 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 9.52.23 AM.jpg

Try using the "Clip" tool instead (Option+c). I never use the trim tool and exclusively use the Clip tool.   You just have to select the object you would like to clip first and then activate the tool. Then draw a rectangle where you'd like to clip it (snap to the jambs to use them as guides --  no drawing temporary lines). You can select if you'd like to clip and delete what is inside of the clipping rectangle, or just clip and leave it there.

I would highly recommend using the wall and door tools, though. I'm not sure what VW12 looks like, but the door tool will automatically cut the wall when inserted.  Switching from drawing only in 2D in VWX 2013 to 3D in 2017 was the best thing our office ever did!  If you get started using the wall and door tools now, while still drawing in 2d, you can get used to that process of creating walls and windows to fit your design parameters. Then if you decide to switch to 3D later, the transition will be much smoother.