Lighting Position Names

Parker Battle

Question

14 answers to this question

Is the pipe that you made it from named that as well? Also, check that no other object in the file has been given that name. You can generally find something. Check viewports as well.....

All names must be exclusive and not just by object type.

Edited by markdd

Good to know. That fixed a symbol that was named Balcony Rail. When I renamed it and renamed the position, the position disappeared, position label stayed. However, I can't find symbol or class named Box Boom SR or SL. Is there a way to search through the file for that name? Nothing comes up in the resource manager

The quickest way to do this is to do a custom Selection. Go to Menu>Tools>Custom Selection. Choose execute immediately and then you will get the following dialogue

994594310_ScreenShot2018-10-09at17_44_19.thumb.png.8571d51018a5a959217c74c13dc18037.png

Fill it in and hopefully you will see a 1 by Objects that meet the criteria. Click OK and the offending object will be revealed! You will need to have all your layers and classes active though in order to select it.

Edited by markdd
51 minutes ago, klinzey said:

Custom Selection will not find a symbol definition with the object name. It's mostly likely a symbol with that name or something inside of a symbol using the name.

It's quite a good place to start though. If you cannot find an object by "Name", then try "Symbol". This will detect any symbols or symbols-within-symbols that are in any design layer or viewport. It can do a search of the resource manager as well if you click on the list button next to the empty field. That will list all of the symbols in the resource manager. Sadly it won't show which symbols are nested on one another, but the symbol should be there all the same.

Edited by markdd
1 minute ago, markdd said:

It's quite a good place to start though. If you cannot find an object by "Name", then try "Symbol". This will detect any symbols or symbols-within-symbols that are in any design layer or viewport. It can do a partial search of the resource manager as well if you click on the list button next to the empty field. That will list all of the symbols in the resource manager. Sadly it won't show any symbols that have been nested within other symbols.

Well, I walked away for an hour and now it's working. Not sure, but I am glad I know about the naming thing now. Thank you all!