adding specs to drawing sheets? :confused:

i'm trying to add some specs to the drawing sheets of a project. the original text is from MicroSoft Word. i started by saving the word document as a PDF, then imported them into VW. OK this works, but i have to send the drawings to the printers as a PDF. the second generation of PDF image makes the resolution of the text unreadable. copy/ paste of the text from Word to VW is a disaster!!! any tricks? [Confused][Confused][Confused][Confused][Confused][Confused]

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin:

I have always used copy/paste to transfer text from my word processor to VW. I use Wordperfect for the Mac, which is no longer made.

I found that it helps to remove multiple font settings prior to copy. So I simply select all and change all text to one font size, type and style.

An alternate is to export that file as a text file and then copy that text to VW. The text file export I assume removes the specificity of the wordprocessor program and makes it generic text.

I avoid using bit map images whenever possible as they are memory hogs and are not editable.

thanks Kevin-

the tabs in the original doc are lost with the copy/paste. do you have to adjust all the text?

Kevin,

it was easy to copy/paste from Word into VW, but the structure of the existing text was lost. trying to get the text back into the original order takes to long. editing the text(text editor window) and the finish object (object that you can drag around) of the text are not the same in VW....

thanks,

david

Hi David,

We have pasted from MS Word to VectorWorks with success before, but it is not so easy.

The most important thing is that when you paste, you must choose "Paste As Picture" in VectorWorks. This will paste a bitmap image of exactly what you copied.

There are some oddities to be aware of though:

Copy the text in Word in no longer than 11" lengths or the pasted image in VectorWorks will be clipped off at the 11" length. If you have a 2 page letter document, for example, copy and paste one page at a time. This 11" limitation seems to be true even if you format in Word for legal or longer.

When you copy the Word text, be sure to copy the format as well, which in Word, is an invisible format marker following the text that is formats. If your page is full, sometimes this marker will be on the following blank page. If you try to copy text from the middle of a formatted text block, it will lose its format in the pasted image.

Also, any format change in the middle of a text block such as a Font change or a Word "Style" change, or a different tab setting on one line, will give unexpected results in the pasted image. Even if it looks good in Word, when you paste it into VectorWorks, the bad formatted paragraph might turn blue, or might lose the right margin, or add a carriage return, etc.

What this means is, you really need to scrutinize the image after you have pasted it to verify there are no anomalies. If you find anything looking not right, go back to the Word document and check the offending text for any formatting errors, fix them, re-copy and re-paste.

All this said, with all these oddities, we have almost sopped using Word, and do most of our note strips right in VectorWorks text blocks. Of course, the limitations of VectorWorks text is that tabs have to be equally spaced, and you cannot do double justyfied text ( i.e. column format).

But I would almost rather deal with the limitations of VectorWorks text than deal with unfriendliness and oddities of Word. I too, loved the days of WordPerfect, but with OS X, those days are gone.

Hope this helps.

I have always used copy/paste to transfer text from my word processor to VW. I use Wordperfect for the Mac, which is no longer made.

I found that it helps to remove multiple font settings prior to copy. So I simply select all and change all text to one font size, type and style.

An alternate is to export that file as a text file and then copy that text to VW. The text file export I assume removes the specificity of the wordprocessor program and makes it generic text.

I avoid using bit map images whenever possible as they are memory hogs and are not editable.