OpenGL does not work in Edit Symbol 3D window

MHBrown

Question

Seriously? in VW2018 when I go to edit a 3D symbol OpenGL does not work. How am I supposed to add textures to my symbols? Is this just my version or is VW2018 crippled in this manner? I'm trying to do everything in VW instead of exporting to Strata 3D, but that is looking to be impractical due to all the problems with mapping textures in VW...at least in my particular version.

MH

16 answers to this question

Thanks, I hope it's something simple. It seems to happen after a restart, yes. I have lots of "graphic weirdness" where parts of images disappear, stuttering movements, zooming in causes things to disappear. Perhaps it's my video card? See attached info regarding my computer specs. Thanks again.

MH

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 10.24.37 AM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well they did release graphics driver updates between 10.13.3 and 10.13.6, I would recommend updating. 10.13.6 is perfectly safe to update to, its only 10.14 Mojave that needs to be avoided for the moment.

However, if you update, restart and the issue still persists (or even before if you're pressed for time) you can try Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics and set that to Best Performance and Compatibility and see if that affects things. Let me know the results please.

Upgraded to 10.13.6 and restarted. The condition is unchanged. I created another much more simple file, two extruded rectangles with different texture maps. I made it into a symbol and it worked fine, meaning OpenGL worked in the Edit Symbol window. This is something of a problem that I recall. The file I'm having problems with is fairly complicated (it's a museum with interactives, graphics, and a dozen or so design layers and saved sheets. There are around 50 texture maps, lights, nothing unusual. At some point, however, the files begin to degrade...almost always when doing texture mapping, lighting, etc. I was pretty sure the simple file would behave fine, but the file I need is now slowly becoming slow and buggy. It could be the MacOS, the video card, VW, Maxon CD4 legacy issues or a combination.

I’m not in front of my Computer now - but out of interest - how are you editing the symbol?

I seem to remember a similar issue when editing the symbol via the resource manager - but opening a  symbol when it is placed on a design layer fixed it. 

Apologies if I remembered wrong - but maybe worth a try?

Edited by Andrew Davies
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
36 minutes ago, MHBrown said:

I created another much more simple file, two extruded rectangles with different texture maps. I made it into a symbol and it worked fine, meaning OpenGL worked in the Edit Symbol window.

If thats the case, I recommend getting the file to tech@vectorworks.net and have them take a look. Your hardware looks more than capable.

@MHBrown are you selecting "edit 3D" from the symbol in the Resource Manager (and this is the important part) while a sheet layer is active because then ya you will not have the ability to edit the symbol in open GL  it will only show the symbol in wireframe.  You need to be in an ACTIVE design layer to be able to edit the symbol in open GL.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Markvl said:

@MHBrown are you selecting "edit 3D" from the symbol in the Resource Manager (and this is the important part) while a sheet layer is active because then ya you will not have the ability to edit the symbol in open GL  it will only show the symbol in wireframe.  You need to be in an ACTIVE design layer to be able to edit the symbol in open GL.

That’s a much better way of saying what I was trying to say!!!

Here is a DropBox link (see below). OpenGL works for a while, but eventually when rendered it jumps to another part of the page. It cannot be selected at all while rendered because although the OpenGL image is visible, the computer "thinks" the model geometry is in the original location. If you lasso the ostensibly empty space or do a Select All, all the little blue squares light up in the original spot. If you go back to Wireframe, it is shown in the original position. Eventually nothing works, not attribute mapping, nothing at all if OpenGL is involved. I'd caution jumping to OpenGL as the problem, however. The new Attribute Mapping tool is nothing short of awful even when it works properly. VW should return to the 2015 or 2016 version...and STOP with the yearly "upgrades." Go back to 18 month or even two-year product cycles. You clearly do not have the staff resources to be in constant fast-track mode. Do it right, even if it takes longer or you will lose customers. Pay no attention to what other companies do. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6mogph456niffp/ Sensing Nature Redesign E1.vwx?dl=0

Thanks for any help!

MH

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your advice, but the user should be able to use all rendering modes, all the time, in any window. I appreciate your workaround, but I do not accept this kind of sloppy programming. I used to be able to do this in previous versions of VW, so I see no reason to lower my expectations now.

Thanks!

MH

Thanks for the tips, but it does not matter under what conditions I am editing a symbol, it does not behave. When the object is rendered in OpenGL it "jumps" away and cannot be selected. This is because the computer "thinks" it is in the original position. See the attached screen shots with the wireframe and then the OpenGL render to see how far it "jumps." Sometimes it disappears completely.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.02.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.03.06 AM.png