Hardscapes - link to other design objects in case of change

How would you handle this workflow...

Start a project as a masterplan in 2D, but it will eventually migrate into 3D.

You design a complex series of hardscapes that you know you will have to change the elevations and slopes of later.

You would like to keep certain sides or points of the hardscape related/connected to a proposed building's FF (will change) and a nearby existing building's FF (not changing).

You don't have any of this level information yet, the survey has not been completed.

You will establish the proposed building's FF at a later time and you would like the hardscapes to adjust their slope based upon this change to the building.

You would like to constrain these slopes to min/max limits and investigate drainage options.

Does the software have these capabilities?

@jeff prince I've been trying to get my clients to embrace a different kind of workflow. STOP thinking I'll start in 2D and then migrate to 3D. Having said that if you have polygon's or polylines that are your hardscapes and landscapes you can easily convert these to Hardscapes and Landscape Objects. The beauty of the hardscape tool, particularly in 2019 is that it is now a style, much like a slab for Architecture, and can contain all the elements of your pavement cross section. Also that Hardscape can also be a site modifier object thereby eliminating the need for multiple objects to grade the site and illustrate your design in 2D and 3D.

As for your hypothetical of working between a known elevation and a proposed elevation I'm not familiar with a way to lock one in versus the other having said that I can tell you that assigning the existing elevation to one end of a hardscape or site modifier and trying out multiple variations in slope on the other end is easily enough done. Now I know I said above that a hardscape can also be a site modifier. There is one limitation to this. If you are dealing with a long sweeping driveway or path and want to use a hardscape rather than the road tool the slope is calculated in a straight line. This would then give you the chord or an arc and would not accurately reflect what you would want to do on a site. To get around this I have broken my hardscapes into multiple sections or done the copied an object along a path and converted the lines to contours and edited the site model that way. In your scenario where you are have two buildings with a walk connecting you are going to want to have multiple slopes like ¼" per foot away from entrance then a general slope to the other building the a ¼" per foot away from that entrance.

Best of luck with your endeavors and have a great weekend.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, rowbear97 said:

@jeff prince I've been trying to get my clients to embrace a different kind of workflow. STOP thinking I'll start in 2D and then migrate to 3D. Having said that if you have polygon's or polylines that are your hardscapes and landscapes you can easily convert these to Hardscapes and Landscape Objects. The beauty of the hardscape tool, particularly in 2019 is that it is now a style, much like a slab for Architecture, and can contain all the elements of your pavement cross section. Also that Hardscape can also be a site modifier object thereby eliminating the need for multiple objects to grade the site and illustrate your design in 2D and 3D.

As for your hypothetical of working between a known elevation and a proposed elevation I'm not familiar with a way to lock one in versus the other having said that I can tell you that assigning the existing elevation to one end of a hardscape or site modifier and trying out multiple variations in slope on the other end is easily enough done. Now I know I said above that a hardscape can also be a site modifier. There is one limitation to this. If you are dealing with a long sweeping driveway or path and want to use a hardscape rather than the road tool the slope is calculated in a straight line. This would then give you the chord or an arc and would not accurately reflect what you would want to do on a site. To get around this I have broken my hardscapes into multiple sections or done the copied an object along a path and converted the lines to contours and edited the site model that way. In your scenario where you are have two buildings with a walk connecting you are going to want to have multiple slopes like ¼" per foot away from entrance then a general slope to the other building the a ¼" per foot away from that entrance.

Best of luck with your endeavors and have a great weekend.

@rowbear97 Thanks for the reply.  I'm a believer in hardscape and grade modifier objects, just wish they would advance a bit in their modeling capability.  Forgive my ignorance, but  what is the advantage of creating your hardscape objects in 3D, beyond reporting areas and such, if you don't have enough information to tie them to the site elevations during early concept?  Is there a speed advantage compared to making 2D shapes in conceptual design and converting them later?  Do problems manifest once you start reshaping these 3D hardscapes to conform to the site levels you are proposing later in the process?  How would you produce something like attached photo (hardscape warped into wall)... as a BIM compliant hardscape object that quantifies like the rest of the hardscapes?  Have a great weekend.

IMG_5854w.jpg