Import logo for conversion

jkibbe

Question

I am looking for a clean way to import logos for conversion to line art in VW for extrusion. When I import logos, I seem to get curves that are jagged with a lot of points. I have tried exporting to dwg and also convert from bitmap, still get ragged lines.

Thank you, JKibbe

4 answers to this question

The only solution I've been able to come up with is this. Whatever the source of the logo, .eps, .jpg, and so on, save it as a BMP very large. I have a logo that has some complexity to it so I saved it at 40" wide as a BMP. Then Import it into Vectorworks, select Modify, Trace Bitmap... these steps create smooth lines that stay true to original logo. From that there I can select Modify, Combine Into Surface for each element/letter of the logo allowing me to Extrude. From there scale logo to size needed.

If you import a PDF – or drag and drop it into a document, you can ungroup that PDF.

The ungrouped version contains a raster image, a rectangle for crop and a copy of all vector graphics translated into VW polylines.

Prior versions could do the same, but vector curves would not look right.

Now they appear to be perfect.

So this gives us a safe way to get logos and content from illustrator into VW.