Design Layer Viewport vs Reference

NShowers

Current office workflow for drawing elevations, interior elevations, etc. is to reference the plan file and set up multiple viewports to the plans file to set up context for drawing elevations. I have found recently that with this method it can really slow down the file. I have tried setting up files with a single referenced viewport, and the remainder being viewports on other layers referencing within the file... If that makes sense.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with having multiple referenced viewports slowing down their files? If creating viewports that reference other layers within the file, rather than another file can help with this?

Someone else set up the file I am currently working in, and although I've switched to a single referenced viewport it seems the file is still lagging.

Thanks!

Yes, I think referenced files in DLVPs slow down the drawing window noticeably.

(I was warned to better not use them as these are very complex in a technical meaning)

Not sure about DLVPs in general, if these work better when showing geometry

within the file only.

But for me Referenced DLVPs are the only way to go, like when I get 2D DWG sources

from customers. Referencing is the way to keep DWG Classes and other stuff out.

To avoid the first step of complexity from referencing other file formats,

I work like this :

DWG > Import > VWX > Clean Up and Organizing >> Reference > VWX work file

I have extra Layers for each Plan (custom Heights !)

+ Classes to easily switch between these and to display as few as possible at a time.

[OFFTOPIC]

A bit complex are Updating the client's ressources and Layer Separation if you are working in 3D.

You can't simply import newer DWGs into your VW Container File, delete the old Layer

and reassign the previous Layer Names to the new Geometry.

The DLVPs in work file will lose visibility settings although same Layers name.

To keep the DLVPs intact you have to :

a)

- delete previous Layer Geometry only from old Layer

- import new DWG to a new Layer

- assign old Layer to new Geometry

b)

- re-set DLVP Visibilities

(Whichever is more suitable)

When you get the typical 5 Floor Plans or 4 Elevation Plans in one single DWG File,

you may think, fine, I'll attach the same Source File 5 times in DLVPs, crop each Plan

and set individual orientations to lay them over each other.

But that will not work in 3D Views as the crop will always stay on screen plane

and this way effectively crop more than you wanted.

So you have to separate and organize your Plans already in your VW Container File.

Unfortunately again for each DWG Update.

As the DWG drawing positions hopefully never change, beside the tedious Update procedure (1.),

the updated Reference's plans will keep their Plans Positions and Orientations that way

at least.

[/OFFTOPIC]

6 hours ago, zoomer said:

To avoid the first step of complexity from referencing other file formats,

I work like this :

DWG > Import > VWX > Clean Up and Organizing >> Reference > VWX work file

This is the way we import consultant drawings (DWG files) as well -- definitely saves on a lot of unnecessary classes.

The issue I am running in to is in elevation or interior elevation files and needing multiple either referenced to plan file or internal referencing viewports.

The options I see are as follows, and was hoping someone much have insight on which would be better:

1. Create elevations file > reference to plans file > create multiple viewports referencing to plan file as needed.

2. Create elevations file > reference to plans file > reference is on its own layer > other layers within elevations file reference to this layer as needed (internal).

I feel that option 2 is the better way to go for keeping a file smaller, but not sure if anyone might have alternate opinion on this.

We unfortunately currently don't use 3d -- so elevations are still line drawings.

My workflow:

DWG>Import to blank VWX>Add prefix to all classes, typically something like 'zSurvey-',put all symbols into a new folder, typo with same prefix as classes.> copy and paste into own layer in project file.

All imported classes stay collapsed at bottom of list.