Retaining wall site modifier showing conflict

J. Wallace

Question

I seem to be having a challenge creating a  retaining wall site modifier in a curved wall. My workflow has been:

• Create a polyline to represent the wall shape based on contour lines.
  • Covert polyline via create object from shape, wall is 6" thick and approx 1.5m high
  • Create retaining wall site modifier

For two of the three walls I created, I ended up with some conflicts with the modifier. The modifier seems to create extra lines which end up playing havoc with the site model.

I'm not sure if others have found this issue. One of my workarounds has been creating the wall and modifier in another file and then bringing that in. Not 100% effective. There is no way to edit the modifier and remove these extra unwanted lines. Love to find a solution. Last image shows the result of the error.

sitemodifers.png

sitemodifers3.png

sitemod2.png

sitemodifers4.pngsitemodifers5.thumb.png.9a840cb840acea64959429eab77ec4cf.png

Edited by J. Wallace
Added last image

3 answers to this question

@J. Wallace I see some things to look at:

• In the site plan, are those blue outlines grade limits?  Looks like the end corners of the walls are very close, maybe intersecting or crossing the blue grade limits.  Can the blue move a bit where too close?

•I can't find a Retaining Wall option in the Create Objects from Shapes (The legacy workspace includes a Landscape Wall tool with Batter settings, but these look like flat walls) so guessing the Retaining Wall objects are regular Wall sitting on Pad w/ slightly offset Grade Limits, all wrapped inside the big blue grade limits?  Anyway, does the slightly offset Grade Limit intersect the Pad, esp at that place in render view showing a sink hole at upper retaining wall? Or is there some duplicated object, pad or grade limit in there somewhere? Anyway, that sink hole looks like the Terrain is flowing to bottom of wall from surrounding facets instead of from edge of a grade limit.

• 2d and 3d Wall objects can only be segments of straight or circular arc.  If you draw the original polys for Wall, Pad and Grade Limits using only arc vertices and corner vertices does the Wall/Pad/GradeLimit combo work any better?  Sometimes the conversion from Bezier or Spline vertices (ideal for 2d shapes) to 3d Poly makes strange combos of arc and corner segments. eg if a wall arc bulges too far, it can cross the grade limit.

Just some thoughts

-B

14 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

@J. Wallace I see some things to look at:

• In the site plan, are those blue outlines grade limits?  Looks like the end corners of the walls are very close, maybe intersecting or crossing the blue grade limits.  Can the blue move a bit where too close?

HI Benson, thanks very much for your thoughts.   Yes the blue lines are grade limits and are close but not touching. You're quite right that if this occurs you get an error.

@J. Wallace

•I can't find a Retaining Wall option in the Create Objects from Shapes (The legacy workspace includes a Landscape Wall tool with Batter settings, but these look like flat walls) so guessing the Retaining Wall objects are regular Wall sitting on Pad w/ slightly offset Grade Limits, all wrapped inside the big blue grade limits?  Anyway, does the slightly offset Grade Limit intersect the Pad, esp at that place in render view showing a sink hole at upper retaining wall? Or is there some duplicated object, pad or grade limit in there somewhere? Anyway, that sink hole looks like the Terrain is flowing to bottom of wall from surrounding facets instead of from edge of a grade limit.

I use the regular wall tool for all of my retaining walls and then add a retaining wall site modifier to it.  I have never had much luck with the landscape wall tool, it doesn't seem ideal for the type of walls I like to depict. I attached an image showing the wall base site modifier, you can see that for some reason when this was created it placed extra lines that can't be removed or edited.

@J. Wallace

• 2d and 3d Wall objects can only be segments of straight or circular arc.  If you draw the original polys for Wall, Pad and Grade Limits using only arc vertices and corner vertices does the Wall/Pad/GradeLimit combo work any better?  Sometimes the conversion from Bezier or Spline vertices (ideal for 2d shapes) to 3d Poly makes strange combos of arc and corner segments. eg if a wall arc bulges too far, it can cross the grade limit.

Just some thoughts

-B

I'll have to look into this, thanks Benson.

sitemod123.png

Edited by J. Wallace
Added image