lgoodkind

Keynotes in symbols

We are trying to find the right way to compile a library of details to create detail sheets.  We prefer to use numbered callouts with keynotes however if you draw a detail this way, turn it into a symbol you can't edit it later without all the callouts no longer linking to the keynote legend.  The simply won't link at all to anything if you try and subsequently edit the symbol you created. Has anyone encountered this?  Is there a better way to create a detail sheet than referencing the details in as symbols?

I haven’t used it for a while but you can use a database within Vectorworks. Search the Vectorworks Help for database 

Basic idea is you can predefine snippets of text and reuse them over and over in callouts  etc 

Hope that helps

Thanks but not at all what I am talking about.  We use databases regularly for keynote legends on plan sheets.  I'm talking about using them in detail drawings that are symbols referenced into a parent master file.

I don't think you can use keynotes within symbols, let alone referenced symbols, however if you keep them as callouts in the symbols and when inserted have the symbols convert to groups then you can simply select all the callouts turn them into keynotes and they will appear on a keynote legend on that sheet.

Not ideal but should work. It means the symbols will look a bit messy in your resource manager, covered in callouts rather than as keynotes.

Perhaps a better alternative could be setting up your own keynote system using custom keynote symbols with records attached containing the notes. The legend would then be a worksheet listing the keynote data. Others I think use this system for detailing and I'm considering trying it myself too.

It would be great if the VW notes database could be linked into record fields so you could use both systems with the same database but I don't think this is possible atm.

Just created a record and worksheet that I added to my callouts and the worksheet doesn't read the records when I tried to reference or paste...

Hi Scott.

Perhaps post the file so we can have a look at it?