Keynotes in symbols

We are trying to find the right way to compile a library of details to create detail sheets.  We prefer to use numbered callouts with keynotes however if you draw a detail this way, turn it into a symbol you can't edit it later without all the callouts no longer linking to the keynote legend.  The simply won't link at all to anything if you try and subsequently edit the symbol you created. Has anyone encountered this?  Is there a better way to create a detail sheet than referencing the details in as symbols?

I don't think you can use keynotes within symbols, let alone referenced symbols, however if you keep them as callouts in the symbols and when inserted have the symbols convert to groups then you can simply select all the callouts turn them into keynotes and they will appear on a keynote legend on that sheet.

Not ideal but should work. It means the symbols will look a bit messy in your resource manager, covered in callouts rather than as keynotes.

Perhaps a better alternative could be setting up your own keynote system using custom keynote symbols with records attached containing the notes. The legend would then be a worksheet listing the keynote data. Others I think use this system for detailing and I'm considering trying it myself too.

It would be great if the VW notes database could be linked into record fields so you could use both systems with the same database but I don't think this is possible atm.

• 4 months later...