VW2019 - Is dashed hidden line rendering completely broken?

Kevin McAllister

Question

I can't seem to create a dashed hidden line rendering in VW2019. The dashed part doesn't not show. Here's an example, created in a clean file from scratch. I also wasn't able to render the dashed hidden lines directly in the Design Layers. The problem persists when the file is exported back to VW2018, but things work as expected when the same geometry is created in a clean file in VW2018.

Kevin

Hidden Line Test.vwx

7 answers to this question

@Andy Broomell good catch. In my test file the Foreground Render Settings of my viewport were defaulting to continuous (invisible). When I switched it to a dashed style, the dashed hidden lines appeared in the left hand object (a solid subtraction), however they still don't show up in the right hand object (a solid subtraction in a symbol). There's either multiple bugs or something deeper going on.

11 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Also... it defaults to a "continuous" linetype which is an odd choice.

^ this is a super odd choice.

Kevin

The object on the right (the symbol) will display correctly if you uncheck "display 2D components" in the object info palette. If you delete the 2D Component from the symbol the object will display correctly in a dashed hidden line rendering as well. This does only occur after you change the line render settings dash style to a dashed line. The 2D component is just a solid rectangle that was covering up the hidden lines. If you use the generate 2D Graphics from 3D Components command you choose to create a 2D component using a dashed hidden line rendering mode. This will only display correctly in a viewport if you are in a top/plan view. Hope this helps. image.png

25 minutes ago, BSeigel said:

The object on the right (the symbol) will display correctly if you uncheck "display 2D components" in the object info palette. If you delete the 2D Component from the symbol the object will display correctly in a dashed hidden line rendering as well. This does only occur after you change the line render settings dash style to a dashed line. The 2D component is just a solid rectangle that was covering up the hidden lines. If you use the generate 2D Graphics from 3D Components command you choose to create a 2D component using a dashed hidden line rendering mode. This will only display correctly in a viewport if you are in a top/plan view. Hope this helps. 

Thank you for your feedback. I think you just supported my concern from this thread - 

When Dashed Hidden Line is used as the Foreground Render mode "display 2d components" is not available as an option in the OIP. This means to create your reply, you had to switch the Background Render mode to Dashed Hidden Line to reveal "display 2d components" and then switch it back to Open GL.

@Matt Panzer are you following this?

Cheers,

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
36 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

@Matt Panzer are you following this?

Hi Kevin,

OK. I see what you're saying. This is a bug.

When the Background Render is not set to a Hidden Line or Dashed Hidden Line, the "Show 2D Components" checkbox should be hidden (as it currently is) and the viewport (Background and Foreground render modes) should render without displaying 2D Components. IOW, the Display 2D Components option should never apply when the checkbox is hidden.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

Hi Kevin,

OK. I see what you're saying. This is a bug.

When the Background Render is not set to a Hidden Line or Dashed Hidden Line, the "Show 2D Components" checkbox should be hidden (as it currently is) and the viewport (Background and Foreground render modes) should render without displaying 2D Components. IOW, the Display 2D Components option should never apply when the checkbox is hidden.

Even knowing that the checkbox existed it took me a while to find it again when BSeigel mentioned it 😊

Thanks for following up!

Kevin